Recommendations for outfits that will cut and weld blades from my stock?

Subject says it all. Much prefer to deal with someone between SF Bay Area and Reno, NV, but open to other sources. Yeah, I was going to try silver soldering, and even try to make a blade welder out of my hand held spot welder.

But reality intervenes, and besides, I have a buddy with a Carolina saw that takes an odd length. They want $50 each for blades that don't look or perform all that well. He would like to buy some quality bulk stock and get blades cut and welded. I think I could manage a 3/4" blade with my spot welder if I had time to make the setup, but I'm not so sure it would handle his 1" blades. Anyway, for now we'd both just like to find someone that knows what they are doing, ship the bulk stock, and get usable blades back.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

(...)

Call my buddies at Acme Saw Sales and Service.

408-293-1969 475A W. Julian St. San Jose, CA 95110

Worst they can say is no, They'd be happy to make blades from their stock.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Doesn't a lot of forrestry going on in that area but a decent saw sharpening shop should be able to weld them for you.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Hasn't been any lumber mills in town for years now. This area for over the past decade has been living large on new home construction and remodeling, at the expense of most other industries that don't directly support homebuilding. Which btw, is down 90% from just months ago. Not sure if we have a decent saw sharpening shop in town either. I called one some time ago that advertised blade welding. Turns out what they meant was rebrazing carbide on circular blades. One of these days I'll just go hunt down a nice DoAll with a welder. For what blade welders sell for, I might as well find one with a decent saw attached to it!

Sacramento is probably the closest I'll find anyone that can do a good job. But given the deals on coil stock that can be had on ebay, shipping isn't really that big a deal.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Gunner raises his hand.......need a DoAll with a welder on it???

Whatcha got to trade?

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

You've seen my place, and it's more cramped than when you were here.... Of course there's plenty of room out in the driveway, but I don't enjoy the sort of machinery friendly weather you do. I also don't need one enough to really justify it right now. After I get outta this rat hole and into a larger shop space, I'll be looking. But thanks for mentioning it!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

There is Livermore Saw and Mower. Some saws had a blade welder built into the side of the unit.

Reply to
Calif Bill

Just talked to them, they are more than willing to cut and weld customer supplied bulk blade stock.

$6.50 each for flexback, $10 each for bimetal.

Thanks Winston, much appreciate the referral!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

You are welcome, Jon.