Record 5" Machinist Bench Vice

Isn't Record made in the UK? They are known for quality hand planes as I recall. Unless the vise is hammered, I can't imagine it wouldn't be worth the asking price.
Harold
Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos
I used to see Record vises all the time at like Home Depot in their tool area. It seems to me that's about what their 5" bench vises cost *new*. I'd keep working on pricing if I were you.
GWE
Reply to
Grant Erwin
I am quite happy with the 4" Henry vise I got for $5, much nicer to use than the chinese crap I had for 20 years. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller
With my first weeks money as a student working in the holidays I bought a Record No 3 bench vice. That must have been 1965/6. It is still my main vice 40 years later and working fine.
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
Almost anytime I see a post from the handful of people on here from eastern ontario I always turn green with envy at the amount of machine tools that are down in your area
Ottawa feels liek the Sahara when it comes to looking for used tools.
Gerald Miller wrote:
Reply to
Brent
Lee Valley tools sells new record vises for that much. (In store only but if your in canada it might be worth investigating)
I forget now if they are mechanics or machinists vises but the two are quite close in function
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
Reply to
Brent
On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 08:07:15 -0000, with neither quill nor qualm, "Andrew Mawson" quickly quoth:
I spent $23 for a HF 5" vise in the early 70s and it's still my main vise, a heavy swiveling suckah.
--- Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.
Comprehensive Website Development
Reply to
Larry Jaques
I spent close to that for a new one when Eagle Hardware got bought by Lowes and was closing out. Record may currently exist as a brand name but the original company went out of business a few years back, I got a bunch of wood chisels and such at blow-out prices from local outfits. Used to be a really good make, made in England.
If it's used and not N.I.B., look carefully for cracks, beat-up jaws, abused screws and the like. Hard to say what it's worth without seeing it in person. If it's in very good condition, it's probably worth the price. Replacement parts are probably nonexistant these days.
Stan
Reply to
stans4
AFAIK Record is no more. They shut down as they were losing money.
$75 for a 5" bench vise seems a bit dear to me. Near retail. Or over. Good deal if you were getting a Wilton (though it looks as they have gone offshore, too) or such, but Record vices never seemed to me to be higher quality than the chinese stuff.
My advise would be to have a look at the ones at the tool stores, then look at the Record. If it seems better to you, buy it, if not, walk away. $40-$50 CDN seens about the retail price range for similar size and quality (part of why they are no longer in business).
Craigslist Vancouver?
Cheers Trevor Jones
Reply to
Trevor Jones
If it's a No 24 Record, then list price is about £350 or $650.
You can buy them for half that if you go to a good supplier or a bit less if you have good discounts from a good supplier.
If it _is_ the No 24 then buy it, you won't be disappointed. It's a medium weight (80lb) fitters vice that's bloody good. It'll hold large parts, the jaws are easily replaceable, the action is smooth and slop free and the quick release is handy. the only one that's much better is the 6" No 25
If it's another model number then only buy it if you like it after looking at it, they do a number of cheaper/nastier ones as well.
I just took a couple of snapshots to show the one I'm talking about:-
HTH
Mark Rand RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand
remind me to reread my posts more carefully when i post at 2 am
my geography was a mess but your corner of ontario is still a goldmine compared to here in ottawa
Gerald Miller wrote:
Reply to
Brent
New in the UK they are the equivalent of USD240.
A 4 1/2 inch engineers vice (with quick release jaws and anvil) is the equivalent of USD625
Record vices have always been expensive but the prices now seem much higher than I remembered some 15 years ago which was the last time I had to buy some.
Reply to
Mike
That one looks a lot more solid than the ones I have seen in general circulation.
I really have to swing by the local bike shop and see if I can talk them out of the little Wilton that they use as a doorstop.
Cheers Trevor Jones
Reply to
Trevor Jones
I used to love shopping at Pascal when I worked there in '76-'78 and for a while after, whenever I got up that way. I was sorry to see the Toronto branch close, are they still around? Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller
I was in Montreal for 6 months back in 1980 and Pascals was just down the block on St Catherines. I bought a couple of nice little Starrett rules and tools there. There is also a little tool shop on W. Wueen street in Toronto I used to go to when I got there in the 80's. I picked up a Record vise from Lee Valley a couple of years ago for about $50, I think it was a 5" with the quick release. Nice vise. I think they were made in the USA and production had stopped, and Lee Valley picked them up from clearance.
James Crombie

Gerald Miller wrote:
Reply to
James P Crombie
[ ... ]
A nice looking vice/vise. Two unrelated questions:
1) What is the blue box on the floor partially obscured by the handle to the vice?
2) That tray of parts to the left of it -- is that a dual-system (metric/imperial) dial mechanism from a Hardinge?
Enjoy, DoN.
Reply to
DoN. Nichols
1) The Blue box is a box containing a new (only had it for 18 months), not-yet-fitted-to-the-backplate TOS 5" three jaw chuck. It's on the to do list to make a 'Griptru' type mounting for it.
2) Well spotted! That's the parts out of the topslide on the HLV. They're cleaned and back together now, but will be taken apart again when I get the replacement bearings. I'm on to the apron now and that's got all of the problems that come with using swarf as a lubricant.
Regards Mark Rand RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand
Hi Mark
Yes nice vice, Like most of us here in the UK I have a Record vice mine is a number 36, But is yours bolted to the bench or just got one of the bolts missing?
Paul.
Reply to
Paul Swindell

Site Timeline