Redneck lathe

On Fri, 16 May 2008 13:26:41 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Michael Koblic" quickly quoth:

Not if you can shoot it on the cloven hoof! Got my address? I adore venison and will happily pay shipping.

Hunting is far safer than -many- of the antics we've each pulled in the shop. Most of us are lucky to still have all our digits.

- Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.) -----------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes and no, depends on the drill press. I've seen an end mill used to - drill- on a lightweight drill press chatter and vibrate until the chuck fell off the taper. Large drill bits chatter on that drill press too, but the conical bit point keeps the force in line with the spindle and taper whereas an end mill can walk sideways.

I spent years trying to cut metal with hand tools and woodworking machines. In general I found that aluminum was OK but they simply weren't rigid enough to cut steel well, even with suitable tool bits at the right speed. Hand tools were frustrating until I bought good- quality files and hacksaw blades and learned to see what was going wrong and correct it. The increasing patience of age and magnifying safety glasses helped a lot.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

NH sells approximate the same number of hunting licenses and boat registrations, but boating sends around 100 people to the hospital for each hunting accident.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Jim Wilkins wrote in news:eed185ff-d8b5-4abb-a488- snipped-for-privacy@m45g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

When I was a diver in a "Rescue" unit, I came to the conclusion that those who rejected the wearing of flotation vests should be required to have a sealed - but empty - 1-gallon jug tied to some part of their anatomy and the jug should have the word "BODY" written on the bottom and all 4 sides.

I never had to spend any cold, wet, winter nights stooging around in a body of water looking for someone in a flotation vest but lots of them trying to find the remains of those who shunned them.

BTW, in *my* boat, the vests went on *before* the boat was launched and

*stayed on* until the boat was back on the trailer and tied down for the night.
Reply to
RAM³

On May 17, 10:27=C2=A0am, "RAM=EF=BF=BD" wrote:=

=2E..

I used to be active in a Mensa group that ran a canoe trip each year. We had a few spills and I couldn't believe how intelligent people froze like a deer in the headlights in an emergency.

By first doing it myself I convinced them to unload the gear at a sandy beach and let the kids have fun rocking the canoes until they flipped. The adults followed and learned how easily a canoe rolls and to deal with a swamped one. Afterwards the whole group wore their life jackets without prompting.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The smiley was because he had just done it and I was saying that he had done it right for what he had to work with.

Bruce-in-Bangkok (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok

Back in the mid '60s I was invited to attend a Mensa meeting.

Perhaps it was just the members there, perhaps it was just a "thing of the times", but I quickly got bored with a bunch of people that were simply trying to play "one-upmanship" with each other in an attempt to show off how bright they were.

There's far more intelligence demonstrated *here* than I saw *there*.

While we get our share of trolls who start out playing "dummy", even *they* provide either "comic relief" or a "strawman" against whom to evaluate one's own position.

Reply to
RAM³