Reducing power of halogen lamps

You ever cook hot dogs with the plug, cord, and two nails?

.

The concept of dangerous electrical circuits brings back all kinds of nostalgic memories.

When I worked for a film company (a 1000 years ago) there were two favorite ways of boiling water for coffee on location:

1) A large wattage resistor connected directly to mains used as an immersion heater. Note: The mains were 220V.

2) A cup with two plates on top of each other but not touching, each connected to mains. Pour water directly into the cup, plug in. This arrangement boiled water literally in 3 seconds.

Yet the only mortality I remember was work-related: A broken cable under water.

Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That looks fun!

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Electricity, is there no problem it can't solve?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Reply to
etpm

Wow.. Christmas dinner at the orphanage!

Just goes to show that hotdogs aren't just for ordinary days.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

The commercially produced product was the Presto HotDogger (as seen on Tv, probably).. Nope, not so much a viable product these days, but from back around the time of Yard Darts and other cool amusements.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

I was at a thrift store a few weeks ago, where they tried to give me a 'Hot Dogger' along with some printers.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Did you hold the nails while it cooked? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, for that I use my hot dog.

Christ>

Did you hold the nails while it cooked? ;-)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd take the printers and leave the 'Hot Dogger', personally.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I did.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Wimp! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The most I've ever paid for a microwave was $2. It had a bad door switch that was replaced with one from my salvaged stock. A few months later the HV cap went bad and was replaced with a good used part. It is the only one I ever bought, and I've used them for 28 years. The first was a huge stainless steel Amana RADAR Range that was built for commercial use. It needed a 20A circuit, and was big enough for thrre liberal to dry their hair at the same time. :)

Some people just don't like high iron hotdogs. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Amazing thing about those Hot Doggers - the first generation used a food-grade Stainless for the spikes and they worked fine - then they used some sort of a Zamac alloy, and you wonder why the dogs tasted "off"...

Yeah, a Microwave doesn't make metal transfer into the food.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human