removal of Grade 8 bolt

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 19:38:57 -0800, JR North wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

Have to largely agree, except that the weld-on method (or even heating to allow drilling of hardened steel) will often free frozen bolts will free bolts that were _not_ over torqued or bottomed, but simply froze in place.

**************************************************** sorry remove ns from my header address to reply via email

I was frightened by the idea of a conspricacy that was causing it all. But then I was terrified that maybe there was no plan, really. Is this unpleasant mess all a mistake?

Reply to
Old Nick

Bin Der Dun Dat machine A washer with center hole tap drill size or .004 smaller, For

5/8 bolt 1.25 diameter and about 3/16 thick,but make it looks like the saucer they used under the tea cup .this will give you more room for A weld and also give place to get ahold of it.if you use A flat washer it will bind against the surface and is hard to get a hold of. Weld to the bolt, when it is cooling apply penetrating oil I had better luck with stick weld than with wire feed. Now take A pair of Channelock pliers grasp the O.D.oft the washer, and VERY GENTLY see if you can get anything to move, the first movement may be only in the thousands.work both ways & apply plenty penetrating oil, If you feel the weld move add more weld. This weld is small & will not stand much torque Good luck!
Reply to
Palmer Nelson

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:11:31 -0600 (CST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Palmer Nelson) wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

Trouble was I tore the end off the bolt into the flush surface. Good weld. Metal simply stuck.

**************************************************** sorry remove ns from my header address to reply via email

I was frightened by the idea of a conspiracy that was causing it all. But then I was terrified that maybe there was no plan, really. Is this unpleasant mess all a mistake?

Reply to
Old Nick