Results with Homemade Carbide Insert Lathe Toolholder

Yet another good point. This is a perfect example of not being well acquainted with the problems involved with moving metal under trying conditions. Those that have always used small machines (fractional horse power) often don't understand what it's like to run larger equipment, and it need not be seriously large to make the difference. Pretty much any machine that would be considered industrially capable will seriously challenge tooling when put to the task.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

That's for sure! :-) I've seen adds for holders with both a locating pin and a top clamp to hold down both insert and anvil. This arrangement would make sense at the power levels which you are referring to since it should keep the force from being concentrated at the tip.

All this is of acedemic interest to me since the only inserts I've broken have been as a result of either interupted cuts (when I shouldn't have been using carbide) or stupid mistakes. :-( Hoever, this has been interesting to see a view from a different world.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Many of today's carbides, and even some ceramic inserts can handle an interrupted cut in good/ideal conditions.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Read it again, very carefully. :)

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Dang! I guess I need to change my glasses!

Tillman

Reply to
tillius