Rollex watchband repair

This isn't as OT as it sounds.

My wife picked me up a Rollex knockoff for a gag on a recent trip to Asia. I thought I'd use it as a spare. However, the band is very large- I need to remove several links. I assumed that the pins that seem to hinge the links were like those pins that hold a watchband in place,and could be removed easily. Not true. Are these pins press fit? Do I need some sort of fancy press? Anyone know how to shorten a Rollex band?

If I need a press I figure I can make one up, but wanted to be sure that is what I need to do before I start. I tried tapping on them using a steel pin with a pretty good diameter match, and it barely budged them.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

On pretty much all of these bands there is some provision for shortening them, but the strategy differs with each type of construction.

If you could post a picture of the band, I suspect it would save more than the requisite 1000 words.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

It's not a Rollex, so the generic, not the Rollex-specific (if there is one) procedure is appropriate. The pins on most watch bands are not symmetrical. They may be tapered or have a slight bulge on one side. Usually, the only tool you need is a paper clip. Also, some pins are split, so if you go from the wrong (open) end, they just jam in tighter. A futher variation is that not all of the links have removable pins. The removable pins are usually those near the band snap.

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer

Here's what you need: