rolling mills, custom patterns and making wire into strips

"Jim Wilkins" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com on Mon, 31 Jan 2022 07:04:15

I don't think so. Mine is an off brand of some sort.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

"Jim Wilkins" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com on Mon, 31 Jan 2022 17:58:53

"a rusty one" - I do not know, it has been a while since I had it out for a look see. Was a "here, take this thing" kind of deal.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

"Jim Wilkins" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com on Mon, 31 Jan 2022 17:58:53

"a rusty one" - I do not know, it has been a while since I had it out for a look see. Was a "here, take this thing" kind of deal.

------------------

Most of my shop is like that, but I can look up specs and read reviews of only new, recent or common machines. My question is how useful a jewelry, ring or tubing roller would be, and how easily modified with custom rolls. For example, would the jewelry roller flatten copper waterpipe etc well enough to use as a TO-220 heatsink? So far I've managed with an HF Compact Bender and conduit benders.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"Jim Wilkins" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com on Tue, 1 Feb 2022 06:57:28 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I'm not sure if this one will. However, I had access to a "small" one a bunch of years ago, and it would convert copper water pipe into copper strip. Just have to take it slow, and not try to force too much "squish" on it at once. That's how I bent the handle on this one. Oops.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Oh, yeah; I've cold-rolled chrome-nickel alloys down with a hand roll, the design plan is sound. Steel rollers, though, need some alloy selection and heat treatment to work well, and don't ship internationally without high per-ounce penalty. Buy domestic.

Reply to
whit3rd

whit3rd snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com on Wed, 2 Feb 2022 17:28:37 -0800 (PST) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

That is what I figured would be my "issue" with making my own. One more thing to add to The List.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

whit3rd snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com on Wed, 2 Feb 2022 17:28:37 -0800 (PST) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

That is what I figured would be my "issue" with making my own. One more thing to add to The List.

I'd try cutoffs of case-hardened hydraulic cylinder rod.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

"Jim Wilkins" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com on Thu, 3 Feb 2022 18:06:18 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Good point.