Rong-fu (round column) mills

I used one for a while and wasn't highly impressed, 0.5mm accuracy was about its limit. The quill was tilted, the table grooves had been milled at an angle and the fine downfeed was almost impossible to adjust closer than 0.005" because it shifted when locked.
It was a good-enough drill press and accurate enough for the electronic prototypes and control panels I was making on it. It was noticeably stiffer than my Clausing, removed metal faster, and had a larger work envelope. The table travel was enough to reach any point on a 19" x 5" relay rack panel. The 5" quill travel was enough for what I was doing, as long as I pre-tested the reach of all the tools the job would need. The face mill cut steel smoothly with the quill fully extended and locked.
If your sundials are no more demanding of accuracy than control panels it might be OK. It was NOT good enough to make close-fitting machine parts, I took those jobs home to the Clausing.
jsw

That sounds like a Rong-Wae. <g>
--
Ed Huntress

[...]
I've got one of these and it's very difficult to get any sort of accuracy in "Z" without a digital scale. Once you've added the scale then plot the digital readout against the mechanical dial, you get to understand three problems - backlash, the quill sticking and non-linearity of something...
Steve

I felt it would be a decent hobby mill for the price with the inaccuracies fixed. Someone here once described shimming the column base to square up (tram) the Z axis. I wedged the locating key I made for the vise tightly into the tee slot and milled shoulders in its top edge, automatically parallel to the X travel, then slotted the underside of the vise be to a press fit on it. The table itself indicated substantially tighter than 0.001" over its full travel.
It wasn't mine so I didn't take it apart. Do you think a cleanup would fix the quill feed and lock?
jsw

Drill / Mills are an economical solution for many hobbiests. They are stiff compared to minimills. And will handle large pieces.
As far as the round column..........Almost all of the time it is no problem. You do not have to raise or lower the head very often. When you do have to raise or lower the head, a lot of the time losing the x- y position makes no difference. And the few times you need to keep the x-y position, well you just swing the head so it is back in the same x-y position. If you get the y position anywhere close, the x position is right on. You only have to get the y position correct.
Dan

I just remembered that when I had to move the head I centered a small hole under it first and then afterwards located the head on that hole with a center finder. The center finder shank fits in a collet when the head is down and a drill chuck when it's up, effectively adding the height of the chuck to the accurate Z axis range of the machine.
jsw

Simple, no laser required.
Dan

Here's a link to some articles written by an RF30 user: http://rick.sparber.org/ma.htm
Light Tool Supply had written this in response to http://polytechforum.com/metalworking/rong-fu-round-column-mills-215159-.htm :
Michael Elson President Light Tool Supply 100 Bayview Dr Suite 1029 Sunny Isles Beach FL 33160 800-526-4956 ext. 107 http://www.lighttoolsupply.com/ ------------------------------------- Michael Koblic wrote:
Hello users and people interested in the RF-30 Rong Fu Milling Machine. I have a free pdf operators manual I would be happy to share is you contact me at the address below. Not looking to violate rules of site, just offering some free info I think is usefull. thank you, snipped-for-privacy@lighttoolsupply.com

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.polytechforum.com/ Metalworking Forums Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - rec.crafts.metalworking - 193737 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
On Friday, December 18, 2009 at 12:23:13 AM UTC-5, Michael Koblic wrote:

I have just found a RF31 and am searching for an operators manual. Anyone have one they can share. A RF30 manual would be a help.
Mike Mitchell Parsons, WV

Mike Mitchell Parsons, WV ====================================================================I know Harbor Freight sold some Rong Fu mill-drills but I don't know the model number crossovers. Is this the right one: https://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-horsepower-heavy-duty-milling-drilling-machine-33686.html? Maybe the manual will be at least some help. Oh, also found this page with links to both the HF manual and the Grizzly version which the author says has a much better manual: http://cholla.mmto.org/machining/hfmill.html .
--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

http://joebullisproshop.com/Pro%20Shop/Complex%20Machine%20Instruction%20Manual.pdf
I suggest you find a pro or hobby machinist to show you milling and drilling operations in person, to teach you the feel of how fast and deep you can cut and how securely the work must be clamped. I've learned things by watching experts that I never saw in print. -jsw
On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 06:51:18 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Googled "RF-31 manual" and found this:
http://joebullisproshop.com/Pro%20Shop/Complex%20Machine%20Instruction%20Manual.pdf
RF-30 manual here:
http://blog.penntoolco.com/munics_files/webshare/RF-30-manual.pdf
--
Email address is a Spam trap.

    Hmm ... one item in the instructions for wiring -- "make sure the spindle runs clockwise -- if not -- reverse the wiring" suggests that this has a three phase motor. Do all RF-31 mill drills have three phase motors? In the specs page, several motors are listed, and RPM at 50 Hz vs 60 Hz, but nothing about the number of phases needed. (However, reversing the wiring for a single phase will not reverse the spindle, though reversing *part* of the wiring (start cap and winding) can reverse the spindle.
    Anyway -- if the motor is single phase, part of the information in that manual will not be correct.
    Good Luck,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail