Rotometals

One supplier that sells casting lead and alloys is Rotometals. They are in California.

Anyone know a source in Michigan, Indiana or Ohio that sells the same? I'm tired of scrounging, I just buy clean alloy and recycle my bullet traps.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Look for Linotype, it makes brilliant bullets. Check with newspaper printers and ask them how they dispose of their waste, you won't regret it. The bullets will typically cast about 8% lighter than pure lead. They can be used to 1800FPS without gas checks and not cause barrel leading. If I remember correctly, lead is around 9 or 10 on the Brinnel scale and Linotype is about 28/29, which is considerably harder. Linotype bullets are much better penetrators and do not deflect off window glass like lead bullets do. Don't ask how I know that. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

and ask them how they dispose of their waste, you

lead. They can be used to 1800FPS without gas checks

on the Brinnel scale and Linotype is about 28/29,

do not deflect off window glass like lead bullets

And if you cast wheelweight bullets and dump them directly into a 5 gallon bucket filled with water, then size and lube them within a day or so..within the next 7-10 days..they will harden up to around Bn 30 and stay that way for up to 4 yrs..after which they will slowly soften back down to 13-15

Gunner

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for existence.

- It is NOT fiscally responsible.

- It is NOT ethically honorable.

- It has started wars based on lies.

- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.

- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.

- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.

- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.

- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

...It no longer has valid reasons to exist. Lorad474

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:11:29 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

and ask them how they dispose of their waste, you

lead. They can be used to 1800FPS without gas checks

on the Brinnel scale and Linotype is about 28/29,

do not deflect off window glass like lead bullets

I take it, you do this hot, as in right out of the mold?

pyotr filipivich

I have some weird steel things that I think are slag skimmers. I brought them from a die casting foundry. Anyone needs them, I will sell them cheaply.

They look kind of like a huge spoon with holes drilled in it.

Most I have are about 5" in diameter, and I have one bigger one.

Ignoramus29895

Read this interesting article.

The more I cast, the more I learn.

Reply to
Buerste

You can get clean WW alloy in ingots on Ebay for about $1/lb delivered.

Reply to
Buerste

You can heat treat in an oven.

Buerste

and ask them how they dispose of their waste, you

lead. They can be used to 1800FPS without gas checks

on the Brinnel scale and Linotype is about 28/29,

do not deflect off window glass like lead bullets

I've been out of the printing biz for a decade or two, but does anyone use Linotype anymore? Certainly no newspaper I knew of 20 years ago did, they all use offset web presses with AL plates. The only place using Linotype back then was a tiny shop that mostly did numbering and other specialty stuff.

Reply to
Pete C.

I doubt if there is a working Linotype machine in most states in the country. I don't know of a single magazine that uses it for anything; the last newspaper I knew of that used it was over 20 years ago.

The offset and rotogravure presses had plates that were burned from hard-type originals for a long while, so Linotype was still around, to make the "hot type" masters. But that's all been converted to "cold type" -- computer-generated galleys. And now, most volume printing is done without any galleys at all. It's "direct to plate" computer imaging.

If someone still has a source of Linotype metal, I'd like to know where it's coming from.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

and ask them how they dispose of their waste, you

lead. They can be used to 1800FPS without gas checks

on the Brinnel scale and Linotype is about 28/29,

and do not deflect off window glass like lead bullets

Ayup. Knock, flip, Splish!!

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for existence.

- It is NOT fiscally responsible.

- It is NOT ethically honorable.

- It has started wars based on lies.

- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.

- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.

- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.

- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.

- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

...It no longer has valid reasons to exist. Lorad474

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Check. Drop them hot, right out of the mold into ice-cold water.

Flash

Reply to
Flash

I'd like to see a link to that one.

Reply to
cavelamb

Uhm, never mind. I found several myself...

Reply to
cavelamb

Wes, I can give you this, :

He is in ARIDZONA, though.

Flash

Reply to
Flash

Mu Google-Fu isn't too strong, but here are a couple more.

Flash

Denver, CO

Granite City, IL

Reply to
Flash

A couple of companies I worked with still used Linotype. Said it was easier / cheaper and better for small changes in books they printed each year. They printed tax guides as one part of their product line and lots of pages rarely changed. Somewhere I still have my name cast in a linotype machine there. But as to metal work, they are the bomb.

Reply to
Bill McKee

Man, there's somebody who doesn't believe in new technology. Are they printing the books on letterpress? Or are they using the Linotype to make galleys for offset printing?

If it's the latter, here's a secret you might pass on to them: Any one of us can do exactly the same thing, and produce the same results, with a home computer and a decent laser printer today. No loss of quality. No loss of anything.

If, on the other hand, they're printing by letterpress, then holy hell...I can't imagine how it's easier or cheaper. Letterpresses are used today for things like fancy invitations and wedding announcements. And a few hobbyists have them, but they set type by hand, rather than use Linotype. A Linotype machine is about the size of three refrigerators and looks like the giant insect from "Alien."

The fuzzy serifs do have a kind of nostalgic quality, though.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I understand, it's a gut reaction to doubt EVERYTHING I say. I make one of my engineers write on a dedicated calendar every time we argue and who was proven right. I'm ahead...by a LOT and yet, he still doubts me.

Reply to
Buerste

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Wed, 20 Jan 2010 18:35:37 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Oh, that's fun. I messed about with melting lead on the kitchen stove (gas), and casting molds of license plates. Fun. Then my younger brother tried it, didn't get the mold quite dry - pop, splat, and he spilled the rest of the lead on the floor. No injuries (he was in bare feet and shorts) but we found a neat way to take care of waxy buildup.

We left some interesting burned places in those quarters when we PCSed.

pyotr filipivich