Working with Silver

I have a request for 20 Silver bullets in .45 caliber. I don't think I can or should cast them directly in my Aluminum molds. So, I thought of
doing them with the lost wax method. I can cast the wax in my molds but what to use as a mold release? I do have a graphite spray mold release to try. I do have some casting wax left over from my Silversmith days. Unfortunately, I do not have a centrifugal casting machine so I'll try the wet rag method. Any better ideas? I did quote $30 each so it's worth the trouble. I should get better than two bullets to the ounce of silver. I do have a couple of pounds of fine and a couple pounds of Sterling. I wonder which I should use? I don't know if it makes a difference to Werewolves, does it?
Tom Gardner wrote:

I thought they got rid of all the Werewolves in Cleveland a couple years ago. Except for that cross dressing one who ran for office in West Cleveland, that is.

Silver at $30 a troy ounce, them be some pricey projectiles. A graphite mold made on a cnc mill would work just fine. Cast all 20 in one pour. Don't forget to adjust the propellant for the heavier projectile.
Best Regards Tom.
--
http://fija.org /

"lighter"
-- Jeff R.

"lighter"
-- Jeff R.
Right you are, senior moment.
Best Regards Tom.
--
http://fija.org /

...more of those every day, I'm finding...
:-|
-- Jeff R.

I told my dad my memory was getting bad. He said don't worry, it will get worse!
Karl
On 10/2/2011 3:31 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

My dad says his memory is improving with age. Why, it's getting so good, he remembers things that never even happened!
Jon
On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 09:11:36 -0800, Jon Anderson

The older I get, the better I was.
-- Worry is a misuse of imagination. -- Dan Zadra
On 10/1/2011 11:08 PM, azotic wrote: //

Silver's lighter than lead, I'll do the math to match pressure and velocity using the lighter slugs. I like your mold idea but I'll need provisions for some lube I think. Silver's a lot harder than lead, especially if I use Sterling, mayme I won't need lube...hmmmm.

Lube? Use pig fat to make them more deadly and scary to things other than werewolves. <wink>
-- Worry is a misuse of imagination. -- Dan Zadra

It's only about 8% lighter than pure lead. Less depending on the alloys on the lead Paul K. Dickman
On Sunday, October 2, 2011 9:28:34 AM UTC-7, Tom Gardner wrote:

It's necessary to use non-pure silver if you want to cast it; otherwise the stuff spits. Sterling is usually (7.5 percent?) copper added to the silver, and that's enough to stop spitting (something to do with dissolved oxygen, I hear).
The same jewelry-supply places that sell silver shot, will have a line of appropriate waxes and ceramic moldmaking items. Your dentist probably knows a local shop that casts precious metals, already, and you might save time by getting them to do the hot parts.
Tom Gardner wrote:

How does the hardness compare with a copper jacket?

Are these for display or use?
Will the customer accept silver plating?
jsw
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    I've heard of using some kind of sabot, because silver being harder than lead, it doesn't engaged the lands as well.
--
pyotr
Tom Gardner wrote:

http://www.hurog.com/books/silver/silverbullet6.shtml
Looks like an oversized steel mold and some plaster would do the trick.
OR do it the easy way and cast small solid sections and turn them on a lathe. Would likely result in a better round and truer weight and size. I have turned solid copper bullets and once you have a pattern to grind a tool from it works well. I used a plane blade and ground it to the profile needed, then rough turned and finished with the custom blade.
--
Steve W.

On 10/1/2011 11:02 PM, Steve W. wrote:

Yep. I'm gonna' turn them!
You can't cast it directly into alum molds, the melting point of silver is higher than that of aluminum. The wax has a lot of shrinkage. Even with professional equipment, where the wax is injected under pressure, you will still expect 5-7% shrinkage in the final metal product. So casting wax into standard bullet molds will result in a undersized bullet. Turn machinable wax on the lathe to about 47 1/2 cal bullets and cast that. 30 bucks ain't nearly enough. A 230 grain bullet is nearly 1/2 oz troy. That means you are only making 15 bucks in labor and supplies and overhead. If you were set up as a production caster, that might be a wholesale rate for the casting alone, sans the monkeying around with the patterns.
Paul K. Dickman

Paul K. Dickman wrote:

You're forgetting the "fun" part. Also the part about a challenge and probably the acquiring a new skill. And reading between the lines, I get the feeling that there's a favor-for-a-friend element.
Bob