Value of a 120mm artillery shell (no projectile)

While sorting through a $5 auction junk lot today, I found an artillery shell casing. I had no time to measure it, but it looks like it is from a 120mm or 152mm shell or something like that. The casing, of course, is spent.

My first question is, is it legal, but I assume it is.

My second question is, does it have any value at all. I looked on ebay and have not found much.

Ignoramus4271

Thanks. THis is a tapered, necked steel casing.

Ignoramus4271

I found a tank shell from when Patton trained around Searchlight, NV. The shell was the size of a one pound coffee can, just stubby, not the long ones. I had it a long while, and it went away one day. I'd say brass wise, it might be worth up to $5, and for a lamp, or a collector, or idiot, $10.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I see. This one, is about 2 feet long, steel, tapered and necked.

Ignoramus4271

It certainly should be.

Pour a couple of inches of lead into the bottom, perhaps put a soft rim on the edge of the case, and use it for an umbrella/walking stick stand by the front door. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Would also be good to use it as a newspaper receptacle under the mailbox.

Ignoramus4271

An idea I had when dealing with the mailbox baseball aficianados was to hang a "bomb" made from 6" heavy wall pipe from chains as a mail receptacle. Was even going to paint a nice target for them on the side. I figured that'd ring their chimes. Nixed by SWMBO.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Here's a picture of the shell casing:

You see it standing next to quick starting fluid.

Ignoramus30024

When you collect a few more, suggest you loan them to me so I can photograph each, next to a yellow evidence marker on a downtown street in Oakland.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 13:43:55 -0700, Gunner Asch wrote: SNIP

Geez Iggy, look-out....I think Gunner is "wooing you" ! Jealousy does odd things to people, and pretty soon you're going to have more space and more "trades" than he has !!!!!!!!!!!

Brian Lawson

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I will use it as the office door stop.

Reply to
Ignoramus30024

You could try mgetting it and turning it into a vase or lamp.

I've had this piece of "Trench Art" from WW1 sitting in our kitchen for so long I forgot where and when I bought it.

But this guy's got so much of it its a wonder his place doesn't break through the crust of the earth and sink into the magma below.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

I forgot to paste in that guy's link. Here 'tis:

jeff_wisnia

Interesting. This is a steel piece, I think at least, doubtfully it is as easily workable. I will just fill it with rocks and make it a door stop for my front door.

Ignoramus23561

Big enough for an umbrella stand or someplace to park a walking stick. If you post the headstamp info, somebody might have some more ideas as to what it's from. My bet is that it's from a tank gun. From time to time, some of the surplus outfits will have drill projectiles, should you wish to make up the set. Plate them both and have a classy knee-knocker.

Stan

Reply to
stans4