Value of Miller equipment

Hello, I created an account in an attempt to find out what my
grandmother-in-laws
welding equipment is worth. I told her I would attempt to help her sell it
but I
don't what it's worth.
Her husband bought it before he became sick and it has barely been used at
all.
It's just been sitting in her shop, everything looks brand new.
She has a Miller Shopmaster 300, a Miller Dialarc-HF for TIG welding, and
a Miller
model S-52E wirefeeder. Like I said, these items are practically brand new.
I haven't looked through everything to see if there are any foot controls
or guns.
Anyone have a guess as to what this equipment is worth? Thanks in advance
for any
feedback.
-------------------------------------
Delivered via
Forums
Web and RSS access to your
favorite newsgroup -
sci.engr.joining.welding - 12181 messages and counting!
powderfinger
The Shopmaster and the S-53E wirefeeder should go from $1400-2200 The Dialarc should go from about $400-600..if it has a water chiller, torch etc etc.
You might get 10-20% more for being cosmeticaly good looking.
Check Ebay for current auctions..and then do a search on Completed Auctions for what similar welders actually closed for.
Hope she can get good money for the gear..the economy isnt doing very well..nor in the foreseeable future.
Gunner
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766
Reply to
Gunner Asch
Gunner gave good advice, but I would like to add a few things.
Ebay has fallen out of vogue with their outrageous fees and pressure to go to a more Amazon like business model. There are nowhere near as many average sellers selling on EBAY and fewer people looking there as a result. As a result net auction prices for used equipment from average Joes like you and me has fallen on Ebay.
Prices tend to be low this time of year on items not typically bought and sold as Christmas presents. This tends to stay low for individuals until late in January when they start to get their credit cards caught up after the holidays.
Prices are low in general because the economy sucks and most people are not buying anything they can do without. The end of the economic slump is not in sight any time soon, so bear in mind if she needs the money you guys might have to settle for less than if the economy was strong and you could wait a month or two to get away from holiday bills.
I would trust Gunner's straight up estimate of value though as he deals in used and salvage equipment all the time.
Bob La Lode

Bob La Londe
Thanks Bob.
The seller may..may do much better on Craigslist or local "bulletin boards" or even the newspaper. And photos are always a requirement!
Gunner
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." -- Benjamin Franklin, /The Encouragement of Idleness/, 1766
Reply to
Gunner Asch
You don't think the majority of listings stating stuff like works great sold as is no returns has any bearing on prices and how many folks wander around those listings? Or virtually no description but a thousand words copied and pasted from the manufacturers website and the item is used. Besides an auction sale is supposed to be a distressed sale, at least in business and industrial used stuff.
Can't you still get five listings with no insertion fee a month? So you just decide what you want add what the fees would be and if it sells you will get that or more.
At least here the newspaper will keep your classified ad going until you sell. But it kind of costs $50 to get in the paper and on their internet site with a few pictures and all the words you can type.
Fran
Reply to
fran...123
Depends on what you are selling, and how you market the auction. In the early days of Ebay there were millions of things that went for way more than the value you would have thought.
Reply to
Bob La Londe
Auctions are also frequently used as a means of establishing the fair market value of assets in cases where the investors cannot agree. The Distressed Sale is just that - auction the stuff and you have established an arms length, fair market value. Regards,
J.B.
Reply to
jbslocum
If one considers on-site auctions - home / estate / company. Something of come and get it - the rest goes to trash or scrap dealer. e.g. out of town estate holder selling out.
Fine art, prized possessions of all sorts are done for price finding. It often speaks about the cost of living and economy. Museum is low on cash to buy that copper 1943 penny they want but can't get. Donations and visits are down... Penny goes to international collector intending to sell out.
Martin
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
I took the real estate agent course and the real estate appraisal course. Kind of like adult education, if you want to pay to take a test and do an apprenticeship you can eventually be on your own. From memory there are three things to get a fair market value. 1) sufficient exposure,i.e. advertising 2) knowledgeable buyer and knowledgeable seller 3) sufficient time. Maybe 1 and 3 were lumped together and I missed one. You don't use auction sales (in your comparable analysis) in setting loan amounts. You can also appraise by cost to replace and income production but those are not nearly as common in the loan application process as I understand it.
Now with the eBay style of one bid increment above second highest bidder model...... Do you expect your bidders to be re sellers or end users? You have to expect a portion of the high bidders will be re sellers. If you start low enough. My point is that an eBay sale of a welder 1 and 2 may not be met 3 for real estate is a minimum of 60-90 days.
A real auction or what I call a real auction once put up for bid the item can not be removed. Yes some stuff is put up with condition a lawyer form the bank must approve the bid. Contrast this with an eBay style auction where the seller often states item is for sale locally and reserve right to end at any time. This makes becoming knowledgeable buyer a potential waste of time. On second thought horse auctions around here can get pretty sloppy about this even the ones run by auctioneer hired by the state itself.
Fran
Reply to
fran...123
You apparently see where all this has degenerated into. Apologies from the group.
Don't go through all these gyrations. You asked for and got some prices. Go to ebay and get a thumbnail idea of what they have been selling for. Check advanced search - completed items. Ask at a local welding shop. Put it on craigslist or the local paper or QuickQuarter and move it out. It's only rocket surgery if you make it, and some here are into rocket surgery.
Good luck. My guess is that if it is in that good shape, start at 60% of retail, and don't forget to add on for the items that don't come with the machine. Those add up fast! You're going to have to do some homework on this one. Keep phone numbers and call back the guy who offered the most. Negotiate and don't just give it away.
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
Good advice.
Steve B wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
Thanks, Roy, and apologies for top posting to those who don't like it. The OP said he made a special account to just come here to ask the question. He did not need a Ph.D. dissertation going into the minutiae of ebay and auctions and everything else. Poor guy is probably miles away by now. Hope he does make out in his search to do the right thing and sell his relative's stuff at a fair price for the widow.
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
One of the sad things is that the OP is unlikely to get top dollar since he is not knowledgeable in the real value, will be dealing with a fair number of bottom feeders. But your 60% number should be reasonable for equipment that was purchased new (making an assumption here) , had just hobbyist level usage.
Steve B wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
A guy who knows tools once said, if it's been used ONCE, it's used, and worth 50%. It's at least a starting point. Wish I had some extra cash right now, as it sounds like the gear is going to be a sweet deal for someone.
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
$1000
$600
I would hope so
Just put them on ebay.
Ignoramus3589
With things that are sold locally, as in "local pickup and welder is under power", this is not as big of an issue.
Welders sell like hotcakes on both ebay and craigslist. Just do not be too greedy.
Ignoramus3589
Per IRS rules, the maximum that you can deduct legally, is the amount of money that the equipment could be sold in the marketplace. In other words, the ebay price.
Writing off a donation at a "value much higher than that in a glutted market" is illegal.
This rule is very often violated, but it is true.
Ignoramus29432
ed smith had written this in response to
:
ed smith ------------------------------------- Ignoramus3589 wrote:
Forums Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - sci.engr.joining.welding - 12415 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Reply to
ed smith
ed smith had written this in response to
:
ed smith I am interested in the Miller shopmaster welder for my own use. Can you help me contact the grandmother and granddaughter that wanted to sell one. snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com ------------------------------------- Ignoramus3589 wrote:
Forums Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - sci.engr.joining.welding - 12416 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Reply to
ed smith