new online reference for welding and gases

There is a new encyclopedia (or "wiki") of welding and gases terms online sponsored by the Gases and Welding Distributors Association
(GAWDA). It's called GAWDAwiki. http://www.gawdawiki.org/gwiki/index.php/Main_Page . The wiki is interactive, which means you can use it as a reference, add new terms and definitions, or add more information to existing terms. Please take a look at it and see what you think.

Sorry, I don't "create accounts" to get public information.
steve
SteveB wrote:

No shit, Sherlock - me either!
<plonk!>
Grant

Thank you, Grant. I haven't been called "Sherlock" since that blonde in London and the incident with the Meerschaum. But that's another story.
Steve

.
The registration function is so you can add information to the wiki. Mostly it helps us keep track of of who is adding what so we can get rid of "prank" listings quickly. Luckily, this hasn't been much of an issue.

The registration function is so you can add information to the wiki. Mostly it helps us keep track of of who is adding what so we can get rid of "prank" listings quickly. Luckily, this hasn't been much of an issue.
Thank you for your time.

I just looked at it briefly. Seems somewhat sparse so far, but then it's a WIKI http://www.techterms.com/definition/wiki , so it may grow nicely as folks contribute to it. There's no need to create an account unless you want to contribute to the knowledge base or edit what other users submitted. It's only sensible that one should register in order to do that. Neither is it spam, except perhaps in the minds of the irrationally oversensitive. The creators have obviously put a lot of work into a very good concept, and their efforts should be encouraged and applauded.
Wayne

I think I smell Spam cooking ...................
welding and gases had written this in response to http://polytechforum.com/welding/re-new-online-reference-for-welding-and-gases-15460-.htm : This isn't spam. I posted the wiki announcement to a couple of different welding-related sites that I didn't realize were linked to each other. That's why you see the multiple post here. My apologies!
Jeff
------------------------------------- SteveB wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.polytechforum.com/ Metalworking Forums Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - sci.engr.joining.welding - 11125 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

To try your site, I entered "MAPP" just to see what would come out. There was a very short chemical description, the whole thing being totally useless if I was seeking useful information. A glossary of common terms is useful to some. I just don't see anything special about the site or the service, and needing to "register" and provide information puts it in another category for me. I don't have to put in an e mail address here to get the best information and help in the world. Why would I do that at your site? The fact that you have answered this so quickly tells me that you are watching this very closely for some reason.
YMMV.
Steve

I checked wikipedia for mapp...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAPP_gas
What you have here is the very beginning of a wiki site. More info will be added as the site grows. You only need to register IF you want to. Just like on Wikipedia. Register and you can edit, add to, or create new entries.
Would kind of appear to be a duplication of effort, since Wikipedia already has some of the terms. However, since it will be welding related only, it might save you from weeding through alot of crap to find what you want. Wikipedia has over 3 million entries, including one on Bambi Woods, That's alot of stuff a welder does not need to seach through to find what he wants.
my .02
Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Right. So just come here and take the short cut.
Steve

I fail to see why you don't simply submit the same content to the main wiki site at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page (assuming it's not already there! duplication of effort and all). Or is that where you got all your existing information?
--Glenn Lyford