Sanding Belts / Disc Etc

A couple folks have mentioned using a stationary sander for sharpening lathe bits. Are aluminum oxide belts adequate? Zirconian? Something else?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I like stationary belt sanders. And can see using one to " hone " a lathe bit. But expect they are not economical for sharpening lathe bits. I have both and use a bench grinder.

Suggest you figure out what would be good wheels to put on your bench grinder and then haunting Ebay for a few weeks until you find what you need at a price that you can afford.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Best place Ive ever found for buying belts...

And I use belt sanders to "grind" HSS lathe tools. Generally I will use a white wheel to rough it to shape..then take it to the 6x48 to get it the way I like it...then to the "fine" 1x48 belt. I may or may not use a diamond hone after. Generally not for most steels.

Gunner

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for existence.

- It is NOT fiscally responsible.

- It is NOT ethically honorable.

- It has started wars based on lies.

- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.

- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.

- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.

- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.

- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

...It no longer has valid reasons to exist. Lorad474

Reply to
Gunner Asch

What? You run duct tape thru the kitty litter?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Whoops!! Sorry about that..mea culpa..typo on my part

that should be

Nah..thats Chinese belt media.

Gunner

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for existence.

- It is NOT fiscally responsible.

- It is NOT ethically honorable.

- It has started wars based on lies.

- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.

- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.

- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.

- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.

- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

...It no longer has valid reasons to exist. Lorad474

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I concur with Dr. Dan.

Also please see:

Particularly the entry under Safety on 'sounding' or 'ring check'. If your wheel *thuds* rather than rings, it is cracked and you should break it in half with a hammer to make a couple handy touch up stones. Cracked wheels tend to be unnecessarily dramatic, undergoing spontaneous high-velocity disassembly.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Finally found some replacement cutters for my wheel dresser. While I was busy ordering a bunch of extra sets I also ordered a small bench sander. Belt/disc.

I've been playing with ideas for a table jig for my grinder and also for the sander for consistent angle grinding. If I come up with something cool I'll post a picture... or even something that just works. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe