Sanding belts for steel/iron

going to be doing some metal removal with my belt sander . It's a pretty nice P-C variable speed unit , 3x21 with a dust bag - which I will
remove while grinding anything ferrous . I burned more than one bag up while working in the cabinet shops , just takes one unexpected nail . I'm now wondering if the more expensive zirconia belts are that much better than the standard Al oxide belts I use for wood , or if what I have is going to work . ISTR that the ones for wood neither work nor last well when used on steel , but it's been a while and they may have improved since I last used them for that . I'm looking for recommendations ...
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 6:57:05 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

Eric should post about 3M cubitron abrasives. I bought some cubitron disk s on his recommendation and they work great. They make 3 by 21 belts in cu bitron. But you might also consider buying a HF 4.5 inch angle grinder and some Cub itron flap disks. Do a search on " Cubitron reviews ".
Dan
On 12/17/2018 7:52 PM, snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

decent belt/disc sander , but right now I got nowhere to put it . I've begun the initial phase of constructing more space , but it'll be a while before it's ready . I did look at those cubitron belts , 4 bucks a belt isn't all that high ... might be that the local Ace carries flap discs and I'll be there for other stuff tomorrow so I'll check .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Are there any custom bladesmiths in your area you could ask, who might let you try theirs?
I did and was very impressed with his custom variable speed 2" machine, though I can grind pretty smooth and straight with concave dish wheels on my 7" angle grinder. I used it to flatten a welding-warped gas engine mounting plate to within 0.002", measured with feeler gauges. -jsw
wrote in message ................

The belts he uses are "structured ceramic".
On 12/17/2018 8:53 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

use their tools ... Dan suggested cubitron belts , I can afford 20 bucks for a pack of 5 to try them out .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
wrote in message

I had paid him for lessons and forged a froe blade from a leaf spring, then ground down the hammer marks with each of the tools he and I had to compare them and see if mine were adequate for hobby use. My 7" angle grinder with a dish wheel was a close second to his 2" belt sander for roughing the long blade smooth, straight and nearly to shape but not as good at the ends, where I can use my 1" x 30" belt sander to achieve results that are functional if not pretty.
Unlike a disk the dish wheel doesn't wear out of shape and guides itself to cut the surface straighter and flatter.
The 2" belt in his skilled hands was -much- better for final shaping and finishing of custom blades to sell. It has a platen (backing plate ) with an angle-adjustable guide table for flats and an unsupported freehand area for curves, and variable speed to avoid burning sharp edges.
The common name for them is "square wheel".
-jsw

I have niot yet tried Cubitron belts but the flap discs are great. Cut faster for longer than any other flap discs I have used. Eric

I've only bought the Ebay-cheap-but-more-expensive Zirconia belts in 1" and 3" widths, but they have been well worth the extra expense, lasting 4x the life of the others. Light pressure extends them, but they'll outlast Alox even with rough use.
--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross