UK users of disposable gas cylinders

I dont know if there's any UK users on here, but I would be interested to know what you do with discarded single use gas cylinders - the small ones which you buy in places like Machine Mart ...

The guy in Machine Mart says that they just go in to "normal" landfill, and the guy down at the local tip had no idea, but I would have thought they can be recycled ?

Reply to
Abandoned_Trolley

Commercially it's thought decent / almost-mandatory to make holes in scrapped air cylinders and anything else which could explode violently with rising temperature in a furnace if recycled.

Reply to
Richard Smith

I use one of those small hand held torches occasionally . I also keep a couple of the cylinders around and refill them from a 30 lb pre-OPD tank . It's not illegal to refill them , but it IS illegal to transport them if they have been refilled .

Reply to
Snag

I'd think fuel gas cylinder are considered hazardous waste so long as they're intact. Can't tell by looking that they're empty. But, I'm from California 8-)

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

I should have clarified in the OP that these are argon or CO2 cylinders

- but thanks anyway ...

Reply to
Abandoned_Trolley