"emergency V-belts" for machine tools?

I have a couple of old machines that are needing their V-belts to be
replaced. To change out the belt requires dissembling the machine which is a
hassle. I am wondering if any one has used one of those "emergency V-belt"
that are offered in some auto parts catalogues for roadside repairs. These
belts appear to be built in segments that are removable so as to size for
proper fit so disassembly of the machine (an Atlas 6" lathe and an old
Craftsman combo belt/disc sander) is not necessary. I am thinking that the
low HP of the machine tools relative to their auto use would make this an ok
option.
Any one running such belts on their tools? What sort of experience have you
had?
Thanks, brian
Reply to
Old & in the way....
Use linkbelt. Grizzly have them in reasonable lengths, 3/8 and 1/2 inch. Work a lot better than panty hose or emergency belts. Work a lot better than the originals, too. / mark
Old & > I have a couple of old machines that are needing their V-belts to be
Reply to
Mark
Probably similar to the red segmented belts offered by HF, Grizzly and others. Everyone who has used one prefers them to the regular betls, both for convenience and for making the machine run more smoothly.
So buy one and try it.
- - Rex Burkheimer Fort Worth TX
Old & > I have a couple of old machines that are needing their V-belts to be
Reply to
Rex B
"Old & in the way...." wrote: (clip) Any one running such belts on their tools? What sort of experience have you had? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ They work great! I have found the following advantages: 1.) Belt replacement without machine disassembly. 2.) They don't take a set when the machine is not running, so on startup, they have no vibration. 3.) If a belt breaks, you can replace a few links, assuming the rest of the belt is not worn out. 4.) For conventional V-belts, length increments are 1". Increments in the link belts are 1/2". (Usually doesn't matter, but there are cases where it does.)
Reply to
Leo Lichtman
We have accumulated about 20 hours of operation on a j-head Bridgeport with an emergency belt with good results. This is the kind that looks like a normal v-belt [black] but has holes punched every 1/2-inch and is jointed by two metal plates. The link style belts can be harder to get but were available from Harbor Freight for 20$US. I don't have direct experience with these but the old timers suggest these are better than the black v-belt because of less vibration.
Reply to
F. George McDuffee
Thanks guys, I was hoping for as much.
brian
Reply to
Old & in the way....
The red link belts were actually standard equipment on some 16-18 hp Power King/Economy tractors. They were used on the hydraulic pumps and for the starter generator.
Reply to
Steve W.
Link belts are often standard equipment on some of the finest Swiss Screw machines..machines that must be vibration free as they often are required to turn to 50 Millionths
Gunner

Reply to
Gunner