Rotometals

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:17:49 -0600, Norman Yarvin

Wow, what a great film. I'll have to download the mp4 and watch it again. I have an interest in this stuff beyond the obvious mechanical appeal.
I had a friend in high school who was determined to enter the printer's apprentice program at the Boston Herald, despite our best efforts to talk him out of it. It was obvious to even a bunch of HS seniors in 1970 that it was a dead end.
My father was a dot etcher in offset printing for 40 years. Not long after he retired I was building automation for manufacturing the consumables for one of the first direct-to-press offset systems.
--
Ned Simmons

Actually, yes - Go into any good rubber stamp shop that still does lots of work, and you'll find a motley assortment of Linotype, Monotype and Ludlow (Headline sized type - DEWEY BEATS TRUMAN) machines and every font that the owner can find.
When you make the Bakelite matrice for the stamp the heat distorts the type metal, so regular movable type goes to heck in a few uses. Linotype is perfect - you use it once to make a matrice (maybe twice if you blow the first one) and you can make a hundred stamps from that one matrice.
Then you throw the used and heat distorted Linotype slug back into the melt furnace pot for reuse.
If you only make one or a few of a certain stamp, ask the shop if you can have the matrice too just in case. When the stamp wears out, you can send the matrice back to get an exact duplicate.
And the photo-resist style plastic stamps flat out don't hold up to severe service like the old stuff.
--<< Bruce >>--

You can get clean WW alloy in ingots on Ebay for about $1/lb delivered.
Buerste wrote:

I'd like to see a link to that one.
--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb /
cavelamb wrote:

Uhm, never mind. I found several myself...

I understand, it's a gut reaction to doubt EVERYTHING I say. I make one of my engineers write on a dedicated calendar every time we argue and who was proven right. I'm ahead...by a LOT and yet, he still doubts me.

Being willing to argue one's point is not a bad thing. The guy that placidly goes with what you say likely didn't really understand what you were telling him. I get nervous when I get too quick agreement. Sometimes that is the prelude to blowing me off or totally misinterpreting my instructions.
The arguer might not really understand you but in the exchange, there is going to be a real hashing out of the matter at hand. At least you know he was thinking about the subject at hand.
Wes, I can give you this, :
http://www.theantimonyman.com/index.htm
He is in ARIDZONA, though.
Flash

Mu Google-Fu isn't too strong, but here are a couple more.
Flash
http://www.atlasmetal.com/ Denver, CO
http://www.canadametal.com /
http://www.go4worldbusiness.com/leads/leaddetails.asp?objid )67883