RPC vs Motor Generator

According to Don Foreman :

But Fitch's experiments in tuning were for the purpose of making the lathe work *better*. The time it took to spin the spindle up, or to reverse it was shortened by the tuning -- especially if the lathe was set to a high gear or belt setting.

So -- if you need to reverse your lathe quickly -- such as when tapping with a releasing tap holder -- you will get better behavior from a tuned converter than from an un-tuned one.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Of course this is true, and I suspect that mine would plug reverse much better if I tuned it properly.

And I do this a fair amount, I've recently been using my metric transpose gears, so I need to leave the halfnuts engaged when threading.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Could be. My lathe has a footbrake that stops it NOW with a stomp while threading or tapping. My mill also has a spindle brake. I about never plug-reverse. I know better machinists than I that do.

Reply to
Don Foreman