Rust?

Hi, a body repair guy sprayed my car at the back but left underneath the bumper on the back plate just primed (white primer), i.e. where you can't see. My question is, will this be OK, or will it rust? If it's likely to rust, how long will it take to set in?

Thanks

Reply to
Dave

Primer isn't a seal coat, it's a way to make paint stick to the metal. Get him to fix it.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
Dave

If it's been exposed to the world for more than a couple days, I'd ask him (respectfully, not angrily) to take it down to bare metal and respray from scratch there.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave

Standard primer sucks-up moisture from the air, epoxy primers don't.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Reply to
Dave

Epoxy primer should be so hard that if you wipe it with MEK it won't come off on a clean towel. Not a perfect test but better than nothing. Isn't primer just really flat paint that is made easier to sand and a better coverage coat simply by the addition of flatting agents such as talc or some other soft material?

Reply to
daniel peterman

Yes, a lot of cars drive around with primer only. And if it is standard primer after the car is repainted rust starts to bubble up the paint and the car owner learns not to do that again.

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

Gently tap the area with your fingernails with the back of your hand parallel to the surface, regular primer will feel softer than cured paint, epoxy primer will feel the same.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

If he did that half-assed a job, it's very unlikely that he used epoxy primer. Epoxy primer is far more expensive than lacquer-based primer.

Reply to
Don Foreman