sawhorse designs

I recently got into cutting wood for my cabin. We went and picked up some
lengths of wood, and cut them.
I had a couple of old sawhorses that I used at first, putting the wood
across the top at a ninety degree angle. But, I had to keep moving the
horses with length, and the smaller lengths were hard to control.
So, I added some "X" pieces for the long pieces of wood to rest in. I
advanced them as I cut off each piece.
Does anyone know of sites that have information or designs for these
"sawhorses" or whatever they are called? I need to make one or three for
the coming season, and I sure need something better than what I scabbed
together.
Thanks.
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
"Steve B" wrote in news:AFfCf.14015$JT.986@fed1read06:
The "X" piece that you cobbled is called a "sawbuck" [once, also, the slang name for a $10 bill] and, when connected by a bolt at the cross point, can be easily and simply folded for transport.
Two of these, when joined by a 2' piece of allthread and attached by a pair of couplers, would provide a "double sawbuck" which can hold a log section horizontally for cross-cut sawing.
An alternative way to join the two "X" pieces would be to simply saw notches near the ends of a branch/sapling to fit over the crossed legs of each sawbuck.
FWIW, this may well have been the "original" sawhorse.
Reply to
RAM^3
Do a Google (Images) Search = DAGS
David Merrill
Reply to
David Merrill
Thanks so much, David. I never knew I could do an image search on Google. I will have to try it on other stuff. BTW, there is a picture of an X shaped sawhorse there that looks like what I need. I can make them of part wood and part square tubing.
Again, thanks. I like a day when I learn something new.
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
50+ years ago, my Dad bought scrap (slab and edgings in four foot lengths) from a local sawmill to fuel our kitchen cook stove. We made six 'H' shaped frames from 2" edgings and fastened them together such that when the upper open area was filled with wood, we could make two cuts with the old chain saw through the bundle and have a couple days worth of stove wood ready for the wood box. I never did develop the concept of tying the bundle and hoisting it out of the saw jig. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 19:50:33 -0800, Gerald Miller wrote (in message ):
I believe "Framing Bench" is the correct name for these things. I built one from a Popular Mechanix magazine article about fifteen years ago and it has served me very well ever since. Google "Framing Bench" and see what you get.

Reply to
Roger Hull
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 21:48:23 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Roger Hull quickly quoth:
There is the X-framed saw buck with the gnarly-toothed buck saw.
Google for "saw buck" and get the little women to do the work. ;)
An interesting page of how things used to be done:

- Better Living Through Denial ------------
Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases
Reply to
ljaques
I went through his apprenticeship program back in the early 80's. Last I'd heard, Skip had skipped town.
ArtP
Reply to
arp
With a name like "Skip", .....................
Steve ;-)
Reply to
Steve B