Scaling down a spot welder?

Can you use a spot welder as a power source for a smaller set of jaws that you fabricate yourself? I'd like to get an old and/or cheap spot welder and make jaws for it that are about the size of a pair of pliers for joining wires together.

Reply to
Ben Jackson

Ben

There is no doubt that you can build a mini spotwelder. I've made one when I was in the automotive starter repair business. If the wires are copper, it is really easy. With copper wires, you can sandwitch a small thin sheet of silver solder between the calmped wires. The heat from the welder current will melt solder.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes