scroll saw on aluminum?

I recently noticed a certain scroll saw on sale that I was thinking about getting... I'm looking for a way to make various small cuts in mainly 1/8" and 3/16" aluminum plate. I was thinking a scroll saw would be good for this, but I've never tried cutting any types of metal on one. I figured I could use some cut band saw blade pieces in there, since most of the cuts will be fairly straight. Anybody think this would be a problem?

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
dpdphoto

Any blade that will cut wood, will cut aluminum. I cut great quantities of aluminum on my machinery. Table saw with carbide, chop saw with carbide, band saw NOT carbide, jointer NOT carbide, with and without carbide. I can't say it dulls the blade any more or less than wood, but probably less as there is no grit or impurities in the aluminum.

Reply to
DanG

aluminum cuts very nicely with a scroll saw.I did that a few times.

Ignoramus16627

I cut out a couple of pickguards for heavy metal guitars. They were thin aluminum diamond plate, and I used a Shopsmith scroll saw, worked just fine.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
Hyes' Hubby

Use a bit of blade wax lube. Wood blades cut ally just fine but ally can gall the gullets while sawdust does not. A bit of lube can prevent that.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Aluminum across a jointer?

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Yes, in thin cross-sections. I've often sandwiched a sheet of aluminum between wood, and used all the standard tools for finishing a layout: Table saw, router, jointer -- the whole works. I used to do it several times a year with 0.063"-6061. I've done it with 1/4", but the feed rates and cutter depth need to be carefully attended to.

Now that I have a big enough mill, and a big enough milling vise, I do most of that on the mill.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yes, I did not miswrite about the jointer. I did leave out the word router in the next cite, though. Aluminum can be really bad about galling on blades. I have a tube of stick wax and it seems to solve most of the problems.

Reply to
DanG