see four-point sockets

four point (square) sockets (and/or wrenches)

who makes them, who retails 'em?

Reply to
dances_with_barkadas

A couple sets came with my Craftsman 900 pc set. I'd check your local Sears

Reply to
<agent86

They sell 8 point, not 4 point sockets, perhaps that is why you cant find them. Regards Phredd

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Fred May

Many years ago, I bought a number of "square" sockets from Sear's discount tool bin. I think I paid a quarter each for them. Don't have the foggiest clue as to why I bought them - never have had a use for them. I guess the price (cheap) and the tool-affliction I was born with had something to do with it. Never have seen them since, although I have never really looked. Don't really shop at Sears very much any more.

Reply to
lathenut

Got my last ones off the Snap-On truck. If you need them for running in taps or square headed set screws just use a 12 point. Between metric and SAE there always seems to be one that fits well enough. =============== Leon McAtee

Reply to
Leon

Never seen a 4 - they are generally made as 8 point, and everyone that made sockets from Craftsman on up had them a few decades back, though one sometimes had to special order them. Have not really been paying attention lately, I'd guess they might be a bit more limited in supply these days. Last time I needed one (~5 years ago), I got it over the counter at the local industrial supply house. Don't recall what brand it was. If you search for 8 rather than 4 point you'll probably find them...

Reply to
Ecnerwal

For square headed nuts and bolts etc, they are not called "four point". They are called "8 point".

Lots of companies make them, and lots more sell them.

Google on "8 point sockets" (not "eight point sockets"), and right after Snap-on, it's Harbor Freight.

Last set I bought was from a local distributor, made by Gray Tools.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Snap-on has them I got them as part of a set. never used them... Michelle

Reply to
Michelle

The *one* use I have for 12-point sockets is that they will also slip on the head of a 4-sided bolt or drain plug. Of course they don't have a great contact area (which is exactly the problem I have with 12-point sockets on 6-sided bolt heads and the reason I only buy 6-point sockets in general), but they often work better than a crescent or open-end wrench.

Reply to
Steve

Just about everyone. I have a whole bunch of them in 1/4", 3/8" and

1/2" sizes. . The thing I'm having trouble finding is the hex drive ratchet ....
Reply to
Don Foreman

Chuckle!

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Wright Tool used to make them, as well as a tool called a Bonney wrench, in several sizes. The 8-pointers are common from Craftsman.

Heads-up: Craftsman has an industrial catalog with sometimes better pricing and many tools not available at the retail outlets. They are very coy about giving the catalogs out but usually the local A&P school has their 800 number.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Snap-on does indeed have them and they are 4 point (for those who insist that they don't exist). I have used them for years to remove filler plugs on manual transmissions and the like. Also work like a champ on square nuts used for fences.

Dale Alexander

Reply to
Dale Alexander

There were several sizes of square sockets supplied for adjusting brakes - Lockheed or Girling IIRC. My old Mini required one of them. Can't remember which other odball car I owned required another (different sized). The 8 poit Craftsman sockets worked if the adjusters were well lubed and not started to seize.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Working on Dodge caravan the other day, couldn't get my 19mm to fit and the

20 was too large. Went to the sae set, nothing would fit.. Looked real hard at the nut... I'll be dammed a 5-point nut. Where the hell did that come from.
Reply to
Stephen H

Was your Dodge made by our friends south of the border? :^) (just joking)

The Monk

Reply to
Flyingmonk

It was on the motor mount, I figured out it didn't have to come off anyways; but I was tempted to remove it anyways and put on a real one just to have that one. Looked like one of those practical joke tools.

Reply to
Stephen H

Oh, hell. I guess I had better get prepared for that!

Where at (the bolt) and what year?

Reply to
Morgans

older Dodge Caravan (grand?) , but the round body style Late 90's I think

2.4 4cly, it held the upper motor mount together (pointing the same direction the cam did) Didn't actually have to remove it; and according to another tech it's a Chrysler special tool. I wouldn't buy a set yet!
Reply to
Stephen H

Oh, the BF Vise grip tool, or the BFH and cold chisel? Sounds like what I would end up using!

Of course, then there is the fire ax or the sawz-all!

Reply to
Morgans