Seeking Decent Precision Screwdriver Set

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 04:52:30 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom

Except for references to Searz, using hammers on screwdrivers (which are obviously prying tools), and not specifying fabric bandaids, that advice was, as usual, Tawm, excellent. Thanks.
-- Smokey the Bear's rules for fire safety should apply to government: Keep it small, keep it in a confined area, and keep an eye on it. --John Stossel in _Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity_
I have a set made by BERGEON - I've had it for decades, use it to work on watches, - separate handle for each size tip, little tube of replacement tips for each size - really nice

novalidaddress@di\/ersify.com says...

Wiha drivers are terrific, I was just using mine today. I always enjoy even looking at them as their neat cloth roll opens. Sears has a line that seems pretty much like the Wiha. They are available singly, there should be a rack of them at your local store.
--
Dennis

Wiha are great, have a set too - but they aren't "precision" - if precision means tiny for jewlery and watches and stuff what did the OP mean by Precision anyway, I won'der
says...

William Noble wrote:

Not precision? <http://www.wihatools.com/pro_Precision.htm
Then I don't know your requirements.
Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
<http://www.yadro.de>

#000 Phillips isn't a "precision" size? .050" Hex? T3 Torx?
DT wrote:

Larray couldn't stand using them if I praise them too. The WIHA PicoFinish line is what I have for tiny stuff. Great!
Besides having the robust and "normal" Wera screwdrivers.
Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
<http://www.yadro.de>

These worked well for me, also, so far.
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 21:33:47 -0600, Richard J Kinch

Not laughing! I have a different set from HF that I've found to be completely satisfactory, and I use them quite often.
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 19:23:41 -0800, Larry Jaques

Check Brownell's and maybe MidwayUSA for gunsmith screwdriver sets. You didn't define how much money is too much, did you? No, you didn't, mmm. <G>
On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 01:00:28 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Don

All the commas in Brownell's prices mean that their sets are definitely too high, thanks, wicked person.
-- Smokey the Bear's rules for fire safety should apply to government: Keep it small, keep it in a confined area, and keep an eye on it. --John Stossel in _Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity_

http://doitbest.com/Screwdrivers-D-I-B+Tool+Imports-model-319391-doitbest-sku-319391.dib
My local doitbest hw dealer has been selling them for 14.97 for a year now. I'm buying 5 more sets for gifts this year.
Wes
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 21:33:47 -0600, Richard J Kinch

Ive been using that exact set for work for at least 4 yrs. Still havent broken one or messed up a Phillips
Gunner
On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 04:34:23 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,

Thanks to all who replied. Yes, I wanted precision (jeweler's) screwdriver sizes and have decided to try out the HF set first.
If it doesn't work for me, I'll move up to one of the General or Wiha sets, if Wiha makes small drivers (00 and 0 phillips for eyeglasses and small electronics back plates.) Links were for larger sizes.
Thanks again, all.
ATTN: Nick, if you're reading this from Germany and whining about it, FOAD,A. It's on-topic, despite your penchant for causing people to rebel and go OT. No reply necessary since you've been plonked for years, ever since you started the incessant whining. I see people still quoting your sniveling to this day. <sigh> Get a life, eh? And stop posting off-topic whines.
-- Smokey the Bear's rules for fire safety should apply to government: Keep it small, keep it in a confined area, and keep an eye on it. --John Stossel in _Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity_

Whia makes virtually every tip shape and size, I think. I know that my selection if teeny tiny torx for getting into bleeping laptop computers are mostly Whia, and they are good stuff. My present set of small phillips and flat, not so much - I've sheared the tips off some (too hard) and bent others (too soft). Time for a decent replacement.

Ecnerwal wrote:

The Wiha set I noted is the 27 piece 4mm interchangeable bit set, which contains Phillips down to #000, slotted down to 1.5mm, hex down to .050", and Torx down to T3.
    [ ... ]

    I just reached into my belt pouch, and pulled out (among others) a WIHA PH00x40 and two WIHA PH0x50, along with a 2,5x50 and a 3,0x50 (they use commas where we use decimal points) straightblade, and a 269 UTG/ 04mm (reversible hex-shanked tip in a hex collet -- Phillips 1 on one end and 4.0 straight blade on the other end. The numbers on the straight blades are the width in millimeters. The "x40" and "x50" numbers on the others seem to be the length of the exposed shank in mm, from handle to tip.
    I've also used and like the Starrett sets of Jeweler's screwdrivers -- in particular I use them for scraping rust off concertina reeds, since they seem to be the hardest tips of any that I've used.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 21:33:47 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,

Excellent! I thought I might have to move away from the $5 realm up to one of the $17-30 sets. I think I saw the 47823 set in the local store recently but that was before the current set started losing tips, so it didn't dawn on me to buy them. The tips in my current metal set start to loosen in the barrels so they slip upon encountering any kind of tightness in screws. I like the concept of the torqueier bodies of the 47823's rubberized plastic, too.
I have to meet a client in Medford next week and will swing by the HF store while there. Thanks!
-- Smokey the Bear's rules for fire safety should apply to government: Keep it small, keep it in a confined area, and keep an eye on it. --John Stossel in _Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity_

Bondhus, bought from my local gun store. I also have a set of (mumble) that I bought from either dillonprecision or midway.

Good and not much money seem to be mutually exclusive. If you want GOOD drivers, go get a set of Starrett jeweler's screwdrivers. Have replaceable blades, too. That's if you make money taking small things apart.
For hauling around, I've got a an HF set that works for a lot of electronic stuff, this one is what I've been using lately: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber916 Can take a laptop apart with it and the crosspoints don't wear off doing it. Commonly discounted down to $6. The case isn't that durable, the hinges go. The driver and bits seem to be decent quality, which counts more. Not magnetic, the bits latch in mechanically. Good for some things, not for others. Fix is to get a small rare earth magnet and stick it onto the bit.
Stan