Seeking flat table - Gunner?

I'm looking for some kind of precision flat table I want to use for aligning a bicycle frame I plan to build. At various points in the process, it's necessary to check that tubes are in exact alignment and correct errors before more brazing or welding, so errors don't accumulate. One nice fixture I've seen uses an old Hardinge lathe bed for a table. A vertical post is attached permanently at one end and the bottom bracket of the bike frame mounted on one of it's faces, perpendicular to the table. Tubes are checked for paralleness (?) with the table using a surface gauge or dial indicator. Another idea is an old Bridgeport table, useful because it has t-slots for attaching the post and other gadgets, as required. Another is some kind of ground aluminum, fairly thick. Both of these options could use a table that was too damaged or worn to be used for it's original purpose, but it would be fine for mine. Does anyone have an idea for how to find one of these, or similar tables? 8 X 36 would be a good size, or larger, but not too heavy. By the way, I'm in Long Beach, CA. Any ideas welcome, and thanks. Gary Hastings

Reply to
lbgary

Buy a length of 8" C-channel and have it Blanch ground.

Reply to
Buerste

Old Craftsman or Atlas lathe beds go for just about scrap price. I have two

42" but it would cost quite a bit to ship them. You can have one for $10.00. Steve
Reply to
Up North

LBGARY fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews5.newsguy.com:

There's a honeycomb sort of flat table made by furniture makers for just that purpose. The method to build them is simple and quick, and I've seen a writeup of it on the web... just can't recall where.

Part of the process is a "truing" method that guarantees perfect flatness over the surface. Even though it's made of wood, it's quite rigid, and adaptable to any size you might want to make it in.

Hmmmm... It MIGHT have been in an amateur holography site where I saw that.

My personal solution to the problem of a flat for testing laser projector filters and galvos was to shim a piece of plate glass on my concrete floor until I was assured it was flat within a few thou... I used shims where it needed a lot of take-up, and clear packing tape for the thin areas. (have to press down on the surface while checking with a good straightedge to make sure it's well-supported all over).

Then I poured about a 1/2" layer of portland-based leveling compound on it, and slightly roughed the surface up when it got cheezy (with a dinner fork ). After it cured hard but not dry, I added another

2" of pea-mix reinforced with #6 fence wire strands, and let the whole slab cure.

It wasn't surface-plate perfect, but perfectly flat enough for the job. Custom "flat" for tiny bucks.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

dags torsion box

Reply to
charlie

Thanks for the offer, but the Hardinge lathe bed I mentioned is a flat piece of steel, about 1" thick. Most other lathe beds don't provide a continuous flat surface to use a gauge on, but two parallel rails.

Reply to
lbgary

The wooden torsion box is plenty flat and rigid for building furniture on, but what I need has to be able to resist very localized bending forces, like cold bending a bicycle tube while the bottom bracket is clamped to the "true" surface, so I think it must be made of steel. Gary

Reply to
lbgary

I'll look into Blanchard grinding. Is C-channel pretty stable?

Reply to
lbgary

You might pay less for enough flatness and stiffness by having someone flycut a piece of wide-flange beam.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I have a Hardinge lathe bed that I'd sell if it's not too worn for your needs. I think it's about .007 low at the worst point. It weighs over 70#, so it'll ship by UPS or FedEx ground, but not cheaply. The email address on this message is good if you're interested.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I'll look into Blanchard grinding. Is C-channel pretty stable?

********************************

I've used ground C-channel as machine bases with great success. I use the thicker stuff not the bent stuff.

Reply to
Buerste

Not as good as I or H beam.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I'll look into Blanchard grinding. Is C-channel pretty stable?

If it's that critical, weld a piece of 1/4 or 5/16 plate to cover the open side, and have it stress relieved before grinding.

Reply to
Elliot G