Seig Mini Mill height spec question

Hi all-

I'm currently building a small machine shop in my basement, complete with wrap-around workbenches, overhead storage cabinets... the whole works. When its done, I'm planning on buying Harbor Freight's (Seig X2) mini mill. The problem I have here is that the cabinet height (from the ceiling) is going to depend on the max height of the mill, and I can't seem to track down the overall height of the mini mill at maximum Z travel. According to the Harbor Freight site, the mini mill's height is ~33 inches, but it does not say if this is at max travel or if its the shipping height. Does anyone have a mini mill they can check or somewhere I can take a look for this info?

Thanks-

Mr. E

Reply to
Mr. E

The max operating height, base to top of motor is actually about 31". You really should not have any cabinets above the mill either. The mill needs to be mounted at the front of the bench / counter to provide clearance for the Y hand wheel. For a normal counter / bench depth this should provide room for some adjustable shelving behind the mill, perhaps 8" deep, but there shouldn't be anything above to block your view and light.

If this will be your only mill I'd suggest going for the X3 mill. Not a whole lot larger, certainly much smaller than a Bridgeport, but a whole lot more rigidity and capability. I got an X2 for a CNC conversion, but I also have a full sized Bridgeport.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

The X3 is beefy. The only issue I had with mine is the locating pin inside the quill was too far out for other R8 collets to work with. A little Dremel action with a drum sander and it works fine.

The X3 weighs in about 350 pounds. Takes 7 Amps / 120V.

Look at the Grizzly 0463 M> If this will be your only mill I'd suggest going for the X3 mill.

Reply to
Louis Ohland