Self ejecting hole saw

I am looking to find or make a hole saw that will eject the slug. It seems to me I have seen them advertised but I can't find. The job is cutting 2" circles from half inch plywood. I have thought of grinding the "set" from the teeth on the inside of the hole saw so the slug would fall out ? ? ? any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks BilM

Reply to
Bilmundus

Drill couple of holes into the hole saw, opposite each other in the arbor. Into one place a bolt, which is epoxied/locktited (the stuff that won't come loose) so that it provides a stop. Now, into the other place a similar bolt, also locktited, but not tightened up, and with the threads largely ground away. Onto the bolt shaft place a spring. Wait for tool to come to a stop, and depress bolt.

Bolts thread should be deformed so that it cannot possibly come undone.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Reply to
Grant Erwin

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Bilmundus) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m25.aol.com:

Removing the set from the inner teeth will make things much worse. If anything, you need would need to increase the set. The set determines how much clearance to the shank materal (body) there is.

Reply to
Anthony

How many pieces? How fast? Are you doing this with a hand drill? Drill press? You might use a heavy enough spring but it will be a bitch! What ever you come up with, keep a video camera handy.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

"Bilmundus" wrote: (clip) any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. ^^^^^^^^^^^ How about attaching some kind of a cup to the end of a vacuum cleaner hose. Make it just under ID of the hole saw, and use it to pull the pieces out.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

You don't have to invent it, they're called "plug ejecting hole saws", more specifically it's an arbor for the standard 1/2-20 threaded hole saws that can push out the plug after each hole. Hardware-store item in a Vermont American bubble pack etc.

Reply to
Bob Powell

Sears used to sell a hole saw that had a coarse thread cut on the arbor. After cutting the hole, you tilt the saw a little to bind it in the hole and reverse the direction of the drill. The arbor threads down through the saw and knocks out the plug. Reverse the drill direction again, the arbor threads backout, and your ready to drill again. I don't know if they still sell them or not, but they work great.

Reply to
Rich Coers

Lenox makes one. You can see it at the bottom of this page:

DanG

Thanks for all the good information. Problem solved!

BilM

Reply to
Bilmundus