[Semi-OT] Solar-powered Stirling engines

Tim,

Do you have a real purpose in your post? Or, is it that you just like trouble like a few on here?

I would provide pictures, my notes, details and sources of materials supply but since everyone has me in their killfile, there is just no point.

Now, buzz off.

Cass

message

Reply to
Cass

The scheme I saw involved storing compressed air in a hollowed out salt dome. I don't know if ever got off the ground though. I think that there are pumped hydro plants that use old mines as the lower "tank".

Reply to
Stuart

I found and article about the plant at:

Stuart

That's amazing-- they're pumping up a 19-million cu.ft. salt dome to 1200 psig every night. I wonder if it leaks...

And they're not just recovering the pressure, they're using it to replace the compressor section of a gas turbine. I would never have thought of that. The article says they're planning to build several more.

Reply to
Ron Bean

I would think there would be a big energy loss in this cycle since the air would heat up quite a bit during compressing but then would loose this energy (and pressure) while it sits around waiting to be used.

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get. So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.

Reply to
John Flanagan

Yes it is impressive. Did you read the part of it generating 100MW for 26 hours? Sounds like a lot of energy stored in the dome. Imagine if that ever let go. I assume the dome is pretty deep down.

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get. So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.

Reply to
John Flanagan

Indeed, that's why they use it to replace the compressor on a jet engine (as Ron noted above). I wonder what they use for it, a World's-biggest- diesel-engine-sized compressor, or a big honking turbine style compressor?

Tim

-- In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!" Website @

Tim Williams