semicircular shaped cutoff wheel?

hi guys

today I broke a Dremel cutoff wheel, one of the unreinforced big ones (btw hadn't I thick gloves on I would have got a nice chunk from my righ index off). The wheel broke leaving somewhat more than a half with a straight edge (the line where it broke). Out of curiosity I tried it and found it to be not susbtantially different from a whole wheel. If anything I got the impression it was slightly superior slicing through. Comments please?

regards,

Mongke

Reply to
mongke

My opinion? It has such little mass, and is driven at a speed likely well under its rated capacity that it is likely still fine to use. If it lets go, as long as it's not aimed at your eyes, it's likely to do little damage. I wouldn't trust a larger wheel under like circumstances, however, especially on a pedestal grinder. Any time you find a wheel that is questionable, the best policy is to break the wheel so there is no temptation to use it in an emergency. Larger wheels tend to be lethal when they let go.

If the wheel you're still using appears to cut somewhat more aggressively, it's likely due to the brief interval where there is no wheel contact and the wheel drops deeper in the cut. You can tell if that's happening by the radius that should be forming on the leading edge of the break. Pretty normal.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

if it broke and you still used it then you asking for trouble.... it might have cut the same but then it will be out of balance and put too much force on the dremel tool and ruin it... go to harbor freight

and get some diamond coated metal cut off wheels.. they come four or five in a pack with an arbor on a card with plastic covering.. they sell for $9.50, but are on sale just about every other week for $2.50. they worked pretty good for me. i was tired of the regular dremel cut off wheels breaking( about 15 yrs. ago i have one break while cutting a bolt and had about 12 pieces of the cut off wheel in the eye..... (bad not to wear glasses.. i wear them now... just cut the surface of the eyeball, did not penetrate into the inside layer).. in doctors office on a sunday morning getting the particles plucked out the eye... boy did that hurt...

Reply to
jim