Dremel attachment

Someone somewhere is marketing a threaded mount to fit a Dremel that mounts on a cross slide...trouble is I can't remember where I've seen it....anyone any idea's.

Thanks. John.

Reply to
John

John

They have been offered on E Bay, sized for Myford ML10 and ML7 lathes.

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
Steam Train Dave

John

They have been offered on E Bay, sized for Myford ML10 and ML7 lathes.

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
Steam Train Dave

There was some stuff printed in Home Shop Machinist magazine over the last few years. A google search and a word search through any indexes you can find should get you a pointer or two.

My solution was to mount a flex shaft accessory to the toolholder on my Myford and hang the Dremel itself off the wall behind.

IIRC there were drawings for an auxiliary bearing setup for the use of tool post grinding in one of the HSM articles.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

I got one from this guy to go on my Boxford ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com ) - but he doesn't have any showing just now.

John

John Blakeley

Paul Taylor, that's the guy.

Many thanks, will also 'google' for theHSM article.....do like the idea of using the flexi shaft though.

Thanks Guys. John.

John

Is that intended for grinding? If so, does anybody get something that looks like it has been grinded and he wouldn't be ashamed of to show to others? And if again so, what did I do wrong when I tried this?

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Nick

The bearings on the average dremel type tool are totally unsuitable for any precision grinding work. If you have tried it and got poor finishes then I'd think this is the reason. Wheel bounce would be horrendous.

Better to make a proper grinding spindle to be driven via belt from a motor or indeed a dremel type tool.

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

My questions are sometime rhetoric. I wounder what use a Dremel on the lathe is good for.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Not much! Mine seems to be used for cutoff purposes only. I do find them a useful tool, but never have mounted one on a machinetool.

I guess one use on a lathe might be cutoff of very small diameter work, especially if it's a hard material. But for me I'd just put the job on the tool and cutter grinder!

Wayne...

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

I did it out of desparation, and got great looking results.

While still far lower on the learning curve than I am now, I made a mess of the tip of my dead center, right in the middle of a project turning some stainless. After I cleaned up the center hole with a touch from a center drill, I placed the center into the headtock of my lathe, offset the compound, and proceeded to mount the handpeice of the Dremel flex shaft in the toolpost with a short stack of stuff to get it to center height.

I used a 3/4" diameter stone, about 1/8" thick, and set it so that the stone rotation was going opposite the work. I did not have a diamond to dress it with, used a carbide chunk instead. Took very light cuts, barely enough to throw off a spark.

Worked for me!

I have since used the Dremel to cut off bearing shafts for water pump bearings, with a fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheel. Again, slow feeds, just fast enough to throw a slight spark.

Pretty sure that this falls outside of the usuall for these tools, but it worked out OK.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones