Dremel Moto-Tool

Hi all; I had a Dremel with a light-weight chick on the end of a four-foot cable. Trouble is the chuck is made of aluminum, and after a couple of minutes of
work, it gets hot enough to burn your hand. Is there an oil fitting that I should know about (but haven't seen)? If not, does anyone have any ideas about some kind of insulating collar to help keep my hand from getting burned. This things gets as hot as a cup of fresh coffee in a drinking glass. Thanks in advance.
On 13 Aug 2004 20:07:45 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comspamless (The Old Timer) wrote:

Duct tape the handle. But seriously, when there is so much heat generated from friction there is something terribly wrong with its operation or your handling of the tool. This excess firstion-heat will damage the tool. Try to find the cause and fix that first.

Now THAT is an interesting attachment. Kim M

It sounds like the bearing at the end of the shaft is gone. IIRC there is a bearing at the end of the casing and the flexible cable goes through it. The chuck threads on the end with the bearing. I could be wrong.... Warren I'm feeling much better now.......

John,
Dremel lubricates that flexible shaft attachment, from the factory, with a fairly heavy grease. Dremel also sells this grease in small containers, you should have gotten a small instruction booklet on how to replenish this lubricant.
Art
Something is definitely wrong. It should not get that hot after a couple minutes of operation.
What kind of bit are you using? Do you "true" the bit before operation? What happens if you remove the chuck nut and collet and operate it? Does it sound different?
On 13 Aug 2004 20:07:45 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comspamless (The Old Timer) wrote:

I bought a bunch of various dremel bits after I purchased the units at a hobby show. I think that I know why I got it for $3.00. In addition to the dremel cutters and shapers (great, BTW for working resin), I use dental burrs and a few smaller drill bits. I always true the bits, especially after having one break loose on my electric drill when I was a kid. I've been toying with the idea of going out to Wally-World and buying a new flex-cable, but the cheapskate in me is holding back. I haven't dismantled it to run, yet, but I will tonight. Thanks for that idea. I'll get back to you later.
@aol.comspamless says...

I'm sorry, the only thing I saw on your post was
chick... trouble... couple... collar... hot...
How did that make it through my spam filter?
Seriously, in addition to the oiling suggestions, make sure that the flex shaft is not bent too severely when being used, this will definitely increase drag friction. Also, make sure you have the proper collet in place on the dremel itself to accept the cable. Too loose and the dremel will spin faster than the cable, again creating unwanted friction.
--
Kaliste Saloom #30703
IPMS/Acadiana Plastic Modelers Society