anything close to flesh tone paint in a rattle can?/Venting hobby room

Two questions:

  1. I just bought a money pit house and will be very poor for the near future. Modeling is gonna take a back seat for a bit while I see if I can afford the mortgage and food, etc...

So buying has stopped, but I would like to know that the kits I do have could be built at some time. Needless to say I'm not gonna invest in an airbrush at this stage of the game.

I have several large scale resin asian nudes that I would like to get an even base finish on. the selection of colors is limited in regards to flesh (none) and tans, at least what my local shop has to offer.

thx for any advice you all can offer.

one good thing is that this house, if it does not float away with a leaky garage, is that it has a small work room that I can hide away in.

  1. How do you all vent a small hobby room? I have an electrician coming in to replace much of the 1916 era wiring so I would like to know what to ask him to install for me.

thx - Craig

Reply to
who me?

I've found a bathroom vent (cost about $35.00 from Home Depot) to be an easy enough hook-up and one that works nice. Prices vary with size, size should be determined by the size of the room.

The Old Timer

Assuming that we mean an exhaust fan here, the standard

50 or 70 cfm (cubic feet per minute) bathroom fan is not much help for paint/glue fumes; I would go with a 120+ cfm kitchen type fan. The drawback, besides cost, for this is that it will need AT LEAST a 4" duct ( use a HARD duct, NOT flexible) and should use a 6" duct. Too small a duct and the fan can overheat. However, on a new installation this is not any more trouble, just if you have to replace an existing duct. Again, use hard metal pipe instead of the flex-type. 1916, wow. Cool.

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

I'm just curious...why is the flexible hose problematic?

Reply to
Banshee741

The (comparatively) rough inner surface will create resistance to air flow, diminishing the efficiency of the fan. It will also collect dust and debris much faster than a smooth metal duct, and is prone to being damaged due to it's delicate nature. It's not, however, that the flexible type is so bad. Rather that the rigid type is SO much better. In a new installation it's the only way to go. Mind that the straighter the duct the better; avoid having elbows if you can and use 45 deg. instaed of 90 deg. whenever you can. Same as plumbing.

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

As far as flesh in the can, check out arts-n-craft stores, any home repair store or dept. of local discount chain. Arts-n-crafts dept./stores should have them in flats.

-- Chuck Ryan snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEearthlink.net Springfield OH

Reply to
Charles Ryan

Yup. Spend the money now. That's what credit cards are for! You can even go with a REAL strong fan for ALOT of money but you should be able to get a good one for around $100. They make some quiet ones these days but there will still be a bit of a hum. I think of it as a noise buffer to the outside world, which here in Santa Cruz can use some serious buffering.

-John

Reply to
Pacific95