Wire rope question

I made up a wire rope cable to put across a driveway. One end was already
looped with a thimble and ferrule.
On the other end, I was trying to cut the cable with some good bolt cutters,
but couldn't get it good enough to fit through the tight ferrule.
Am I missing something?
Do I need to put solder on the wire rope, then cut it with a grinding wheel
to get a nice enough end to put through the ferrule? I am using the ferrule
that has room for two cables in it, and they fit tight. If there is ANY
frayed wires, it won't go through.
Do I need a better pair of bolt cutters? Mine is American and good, but it
just smashes them down. This is pretty tough cable, and has several strands
around an inner spiraled core strand. It is 1/4".
Suggestions?
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
I think you need some bypass-type cutters, as the jaws of bolt cutters are rarely able to close enough to cut the last few strands of wire rope - even if they're sharp. In that way, it's better than a chain, for anti-theft. I've seen a simple type of cable cutter, that was a 2-piece thingo you put on the floor, and hit with a sledge hammer - could cut up to about an inch rope diameter. Or, you could maybe just flame-cut it?
Reply to
Jordan
Dremel, w/ cutoff wheel? Abrasive cut-off saw? Bolt cutters def'ly won't do it. Machine shop suppliers sell a very fine non-reinforced 1/32 thick cutoff wheel for surface grinders, if you are pushed this far. Breaks easily, tho. Dremel should do it.
I was always suspicious of these ferrules/crimping, etc. on wire rope. Can't quite believe that this type of connection is as strong as the rope itself. ---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll
Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®
I wrap the cable with electrical tape over about two inches then use a sharp cold chisel on a chunk of one inch plate. One good hammer blow does it. Your idea of soldering first would likely work better than the tape. Randy
I made up a wire rope cable to put across a driveway. One end was already looped with a thimble and ferrule.
On the other end, I was trying to cut the cable with some good bolt cutters, but couldn't get it good enough to fit through the tight ferrule.
Am I missing something?
Do I need to put solder on the wire rope, then cut it with a grinding wheel to get a nice enough end to put through the ferrule? I am using the ferrule that has room for two cables in it, and they fit tight. If there is ANY frayed wires, it won't go through.
Do I need a better pair of bolt cutters? Mine is American and good, but it just smashes them down. This is pretty tough cable, and has several strands around an inner spiraled core strand. It is 1/4".
Suggestions?
Steve
Reply to
R. Zimmerman
Wrap some tie wire around the wire rope next to where you intend to cut it. As if you were repairing your fishing rod! Or if you take your time and don't let the wire rope get to hot as you cut, some insulation tape will do. Then attack with the angle grinder and the tie wire or tape will hold the ends from unravelling.
Hope this helps, Peter
Reply to
Bushy Pete
Tape the cable 1/4" from the end and cut the cable with a 3" cut-off wheel. JR Dweller in the cellar
SteveB wrote:
Reply to
JR North
there arew two types of crimp ferrules , lifting rated which run about 60 apiece and non lifting rated which run about
12 each
I just spent two days making up lifting slings with the expensive ones and 5/16 wire rope 6x19 , a real pita
they work like a charm though
Reply to
williamhenry
Nothing works like good rigging. I ran a 30 ton crane on an offshore platform for three years. It was always a pleasure to have new slings, or just those that didn't have crushed wires, baskets, or fish hooks sticking out.
I was really damn fussy about rigging, and taught my guys how to do it right. We never dropped anything, and never destroyed any rigging.
We used a lot of 5/8" wire rope slings with socketed eyes.
And, even though making the slings can be a PITA, when they are working and working right, it is a beautiful thing next to the alternative.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
Zimmerman is right. Cold chisel & electrical tape is the way to fly. A sharp chisel against a heavy plate should leave a nice clean cut.
Bruce
Reply to
Bruce Johnstone
You know that there have been some decapitations connected with wire rope across roads? The cable is hard to see. You might want to sleeve the cable with some PVC to make it more visible.
Reply to
ATP*
I just use a fine tooth hacksaw.
After you have cut the cable, look around on the internet for " Flemmish Eye". It is a fairly easy way to make a strong eye in a cable. Essentially you divide the cable into 3 strands and 4 strands for about three or four inches, and then reform the cable with an eye. Slip the ferule on the cable first.
Dan
Reply to
dcaster
I just use a fine tooth hacksaw.
After you have cut the cable, look around on the internet for " Flemmish Eye". It is a fairly easy way to make a strong eye in a cable. Essentially you divide the cable into 3 strands and 4 strands for about three or four inches, and then reform the cable with an eye. Slip the ferule on the cable first.
Dan
Reply to
dcaster
Gunner
Gunner
One step ahead of you. I already did a "poorboy splice", called a "molly hogan" in your literature. I then put a Crosby clamp on the tail. I want to put a ferrule on there so that it can't be taken apart with just a wrench. I know a person with bolt cutters could just cut it, but I just want to slow down the amateurs.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
My driveway is 1/4 mile inside a gated area. There are only four people who have access to the area with keys. Anyone else inside that perimeter is there without permission. Perhaps they should read the musings of Darwin.
BTW, I have a 12x14 fluorescent sign, and four reflectors hanging on the cable.
Steve, who has no sympathy for trespassers or thieves.
Reply to
SteveB
A very good friend of mine lost his son to one of those cables. He was IIRC, 14 years old. He helped me in the shop sometimes. He had IT. Would have been a very good machinist. Make sure the cable is VERY visible, or consider a gate.
Reply to
michael
What a great resource! Thanks. Gunner.
Max ben-Aaron
Reply to
xeno3579
Hey Steve,
I see others have already suggested the method we used for 35 years on cable and air-cord up to 1/4". Pick the desired cut point, run a continuous VERY TIGHT wind of GOOD black electrical tape (3M 33 is good) over it and for an inch either side (total 2 inch long about 3 to 4 thicknesses of tape). You should be able to "see" the lays of the strands "through" the tape if you got it tight enough. Then, on the standing part (that is the part that will be used) wrap another tape-width wind or two of the tape about 1/4" clear of the first tape, to serve as a "secondary" seizing for later. A good pair of 10" diagonals, or a cable cutter, or even a cold chisel and steel plate as last resort, and then CUT THROUGH THE TAPE AND ALL, with just ONE squeeze or blow. I think that the others who wrote may have meant that, but it was NOT stated. Cutting "outside" the taped area, or any "nibbling" the cut, will leave a messy end. When you remove the scrap tape to shove the end through the ferrule the first time, the second tape you applied will help hold the wire "round" while you do so, and if you shove it through and then re-tape it lightly as it goes, it will continue to stay "round" and you'll be ready to shove it back through again.
Good luck. Heed the warning about the DANGER you are presenting to people with the cable gate/fence.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Reply to
Brian Lawson
My pleasure
Gunner
I cut it with a gas welding torch,not a burning torch.Use a small hot flame and melt your way through it.With a bit of practice you get a nice tidy end with the strands all welded together. regards,Mark.
Reply to
mark