cutting wire rope

Hi,
Not really a welding question. Rather oxy/act cutting.
About once a month I have to cut up a pile of 1-3/8 wire rope. Typical wire
rope, not heavly worn, still pretty greasing. About 2 hours of steady
cutting.
Anyone have any tricks/methods to oxy/act cut cable. Seems like you just
have to "knaw" your way through it. Fast/slow, various pressures don't seem
to make much difference. About the only thing I find helps a bit is move
lengthways about 1/8" to widen the kerf and create some heat.
Experiences/suggestions.
Glen
Reply to
glensmith
Use a chop-saw. Cutting with a torch is difficult because all the wires are separated by the grease, and it is difficult to get sufficient heat transfer to start the next strand burning. The grit wheel on a chop-saw makes pretty fast work on wire rope.
Mike
Reply to
Mike Swift
Mike,
Thanks for the suggestion but its not a option in this case.
Glen
Reply to
glensmith
insight, please: can't imagine a situation as so
Reply to
the dog barked and
If you can't get the rope to a chop saw, then maybe you can use a hot saw, the hand held chainsaw like saws that use an abrasive wheel. I'm assuming this is scrap type work? And if you only need it once a month, your local rental yard would be the place to shop. Wear a faceshield and safety glasses, but you already thew that.
JTMcC.
Reply to
JTMcC
Use an abrasive wheel saw or a hydraulic cable cutter.
Reply to
Ritze
If you can't use the saw, and the rope is too big to use cutters, it is a pain. I have cut up a bit of heavy rope and cable with a torch and it is definately the hard way (4" galv strand lifting sling, greasy and dirty, into about 20 pieces for scrapping. I was not happy for about two days after that)
things that may make it easier: preheat (a propane weed-burner type torch is good) so that the cutting torch doesn't need to provide all of the heat, but principally the cutting oxygen. Keep the ocy presure down- feather the blow; too much blow will cool the strands before they begin to burn as the cut moves from one to the next; If you can, make up a clamp to compress the strands adjacent to the cut- this helps the cut move from strand to strand (try cutting right nxt to a tight U-clamp to see this).
We've always used a 1/16" cutting wheel in a grinder or an abrasive cut-off saw for the thicker stuff. Sometimes it is necessary to tape it first to keep it from unraveling.
Reply to
ben carter
arc/cut electrodes or carbon arc if you got a welding unit of 300 amps
Reply to
Dennis
Try these

habbi
Oxygen lance with a thermite like core. Now that should cut some cable.
How much do the sticks cost?
Gunner
"I mean, when's the last time you heard of a college where the Young Republicans staged a "Sit In" to close down the Humanities building? On the flip side, how many sit in's were staged to close the ROTC building back in the '60's? Liberals stage protests, do civil disobedience, etc. Conservatives talk politely and try to work out a solution to problems through discourse until they believe that talking won't work... they they go home and open the gun cabinets. Pray things never get to the point where the conservatives decide that "civil disobedience" is the next step, because that's a very short route to "voting from the rooftops" Jeffrey Swartz, Misc.Survivalism
Reply to
Gunner
Not sure of the cost of the rods, but they like O2, and lots of it.
Shawn
Reply to
Shawn
Glen, As heat rises, you may try working from the bottom-upward. And if you have allot to do and are willing to invest in a 2nd torch, you can use hose-splitters and operate them together. One as a cutter, the other a pre-heater (a rosebud). And rather than being forced into a 2-handed situation you can tape them together to match the Left-right-up-down direction you travel most (rosebud followed by the cutter (1/2" apart more/less depending on the cable-strand-size). Since it may be more difficult to shut down quickly you should definately use flashback arrestors for this - on the tank-side of the Ts. Or 2 sets of arrestors on each back-side of the Ts (if you need more flow than you can get in 1 set). I like mounting them 3' away from the regulators via a custom set of 3' hoses and a pair of hose-extender-fittings (and have never personally needed to operate 2 torches at once). Elliott
e wrote:
sufficient heat
Reply to
reitze
wrote: (clip) Since it may be more difficult to shut down quickly you should definately use flashback arrestors(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^ What? I can't believe you are the same Reitze who puts out fires by blowing on them, who eschews gloves and goggles. and who does all the other wrong things I do.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman