Damaged Aluminum Rims

I just purchased aluminum rims that were damaged on the lip. Would it be possible to weld a lip back on it? The chip is not that big, about half an inch. There's also a few small dents on another rim. I will get a pic tomorrow. I'm currently in school doing a year Welding course. I may get my instructor to help me with the aluminum welding. I thought about bringing the rims to a place that fixes rims, but that could get expensive.

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
VW Golf Cart

"VW Golf Cart" wrote: I just purchased aluminum rims that were damaged on the lip. Would it be possible to weld a lip back on it? (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I did that once on an aluminum drive pulley to a Judson supercharger, and I'm not even that good a welder. But next to my office was a machine shop full of friends. After you weld, chances are you will need to mount the wheels on a lathe and trim off the excess weld bead. That could cost you more than the welding, if you have to pay to have it done.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

might just put it on the car (sans tire) after it's welded and use jack stand w/steady handed small grinder for the "finish": cheapcheap

Reply to
the dog barked and