Setting a wagon tire

I don't understand something about this no-fire regulation. Where exactly is it that you can't have a BBQ? Seems outlandish.

RicodJour

Or maybe two of them. One on each side would sure make for a quicker job.

Reply to
cavelamb

I'll betcha a wooden nickel the old guys used water...

Reply to
cavelamb

A *lot* of places have no *open* fire regulations, at least part of the time. There are "Red Flag" warnings issued here on dry days (quite often in the Winter). Some areas require a "burn permit" for an open fire.

Reply to
krw

Yep. Historically they used buckets of water.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That "burn permit" is the city wanting to make money under the guise of "environmentalism". It's about time some of these idiots started "disappearing".

Reply to
CW

I've actually seen a wheelwright reset a rim - at a county fair many years ago. He didn't heat the entire rim only in spots (can you imagine how much a 48 inch rim expands with even a little heat applied?) The wheel was set even and blocks set to support the tire. Heated it up and dropped it on. Then industrially applied buckets of water to the assembly.

Cheers,

John D. Slocomb (jdslocombatgmail)

Reply to
J. D. Slocomb

You can have a barbecue here but it has to be in either the portable kind on wheels or if you're going to use a pile of bricks then you need to pull a permit and get the inspector to approve it, and he's not gonna unless the bricks are mortared together.

Reply to
J. Clarke

CW wrote: ...

Not at all in areas that have or are susceptible to red flag warnings -- it's common-sense protection to minimize chances for wildfires that easily can get out of hand.

The "permit" is no-cost; the requirement means there's some control over where/what/when and an awareness of who/where/when so have handle on responders and sufficient to handle just in case.

The difference to the miscreant is if have gotten the permit and something happens as long as you abided by conditions and it was an inadvertent incident such as a sudden gust of wind you're off the hook. If, otoh, you ignore and go ahead any way, you can be liable for responder costs and penalties.

--

Reply to
dpb

The rim was wrought iron back in the day. Water quench was OK. Artemus, I hope, will use mild, low carbon steel, which won't get very hard with a water quench either.

Nope, water. I've watched the Amish wheelwrights down around Hope, Kidron, etc. do it many times. They use pretty dry wood for the felloes. They'd char too much and the rim would never tighten if not quenched.

Reply to
John Husvar

But then I wouldn't have known the history of the wheelwright, would not have watched LOX light a charcoal grill, would not have seen what happens when a bowl of Liquid Nitrogen is dumped in a swimming pool (spin off of the LOX) would not have known HF sells a propane weed burner for $12.

On the other hand, if it were me, I would have likely screwed up a wheel or two before asking, and another after asking before realizing there is more toit than meets the eye...

Reply to
Jack Stein

NO, it's not. They want to regulate fire hazards. They won't issue permits in very dry weather, for instance.

Reply to
krw

Check out Ron Reil's burner & forge design pages:

Build yourself a T-Rex or Mongo burner or two. They're easy, cheap and fun to build and they make that HF weedburner look like a birthday candle.

Ron has brazed cannon balls together outdoors with a Reil burner, which is smaller than either the T-Rex or the Mongo.

I do recommend getting the Zoller nozzle for $7.50.

Reply to
Don Foreman

If you have an air compressor:

Get a low-pressure propane regulator, as from a gas grille. Make a device out of copper tubing and a couple of small valves that enables you to mix propane at about 1/2 PSI with compressed air at similar pressure. The valves would determine the mix ratio.

Supply this mix to a copper tube ring that go inside your steel ring. Plug or pinch one end closed. Drill holes in the copper tube ring so as to make flame jets, like on a stove burner. Check a stove burner for size, I'd guess at maybe about a number 52 or 1/16" drill as a wild guess. The idea is to make a propane-fueled "ring of fire".

Reply to
Don Foreman

That's one of the approaches I was thinking about. Was hoping for something fast and dirty though.

Reply to
J. Clarke

It would be cheating, but how about leaving the ring split, welding tabs on it to pull it together, (something like the bolt clamp for a 55 gallon drum rim) and then MIG welding the ends together, grinding the tabs off afterwards?

Reply to
ATP

You should talk to one of the local Amish smiths. In this area they are using a neat wheel. They look like the standard wood/steel construction. BUT they actually have a wood center/spokes/rim, Then they have a layer of rubber glued to that and a steel ring around all of it. The rubber gives a better ride and seems to lower the wear on the steel as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

Sounds a bit fancy and prideful to me...

Reply to
ATP

No, it's a way of preventing yahoos from starting wild fires.

Reply to
rangerssuck

"J. Clarke" wrote in news:i32np002bm0 @news6.newsguy.com:

Pythagorean theorem. This only would work if you've got enough height to stand the wheel vertically across the oven.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper