Setting a wagon tire

The nearest Amish smith to here is about 250 miles away and I have to drive through NYC to get there.

The layer of rubber is a thought.

Reply to
J. Clarke

It's a possibility but how much damage am I likely to do to the wood rim while MIG welding the tire?

Reply to
J. Clarke

It would have charing along the weld line, a heck of a lot less that heating the ring red hot and then slipping it on. ATP has something there.

Wes

Wes

Does it work?

Reply to
Stuart

Apparently not.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

So put the wheel, tire, a bag of charcoal, some matches, a few tools, and firebrick in your car and drive down the road to somewhere that's not so anal.

How hard could that be?

Reply to
HeyBub

That would likely be in another state.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 02:07:52 -0700, "CW" wrote the following:

Too bad Ross didn't allow a text version of _Unintended Consequences_ to be released...

-- To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes!

I've done that to mend a hoop on a whiskey barrel used as a planter. Hoops are meant to be pounded or pressed on, but that's hard to do without inverting the half-barrel thus dumping the soil and thriving plants. I welded tabs on the hoop on either side of the break, set some screws into the staves so the hoop couldn't migrate downslope, pulled the broken hoop closed with clamps, MIG-welded it, ground off the tabs. Minimal damage to the underlying oak resulted, confined to a circumferential region of well under an inch.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Fairly well, actually. Not 100%, but the number of wildfires started 'per capita' is *way* down in the areas that do this.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

of course there is, this is the *very* special case of a _round_ toit.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Calculating the change in circumference is the 'hard way' to get the answer.

A 'hole' in a piece of 'something'(anything) expands at the *exactly* the same rate as the material surrounding it.

So, the diameter will increase by 24*.00000645 inches per degree or, .00015480 in/degree.

Assuming 70f ambient. heating to 500F gets 0.0665+" on the diameter, which is almost exactly 1/15th of an inch. heating to 1000F gets 0.1439+" just over

1/7".

The tricky part is manhandling the two parts so the surfaces stay "parallel" from inner side to outer side, and getting things in place before the tire cools appreciably.

I'd be tempted to 'cheat', and subject the wooden wheel to a dry ice (or similar) treatment, to -shrink- it as much as possible.

Also get the wood as _dry_ as possible before mounting the tire, and then let it absorb moisture back to 'normal' level. every little bit helps. ;)

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Yeahbut applies. a standard commercial pizza oven holds typically

*six* minimum (16-18") and will hit into the 8-900F range if pushed.

Now, arranging to "borrow' a pizza place's oven, *that's* a whole nuther level of complexity.

Similarly, it'd take a *really* big ceramics kiln to fit that tire in.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

AH! if -that's- all. get some roofing 'gutter'. the galvanized variety. tack pieces together to approximate a circle of the right diameter.

Add tire, charcoal, and torch it.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

the ring red

This sounds like the easy way to do it and doesn't require that I shell out for an oxyacetylene rig or mongo weed burner or the rest.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"Ve haf vays to make you tok."

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not at all. Stick a flat metal circle on it, tell the pizza guy that you'll pay him $20 to test out your new invention - The Pizza Magic Oven Ring. Then after the 'test', grab the thing, run outside and start pounding the wheel together in his parking lot.

RicodJour

Its out there.....if one looks around on the net.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I've seen Barbecuing with Liquid Oxygen. Where's the liquid nitrogen one?

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Larry Jaques on Sun, 01 Aug 2010 20:49:55

Heh. One of the "Unintended Consequences" is that Bowman aimed at the ATF. But everybody started hitting all the other TLAs.

Oh, and one way to get around the "burn ban" is to mark a circle on the ground with bricks or stones, and keep some hot dogs and buns handy. You are not burning - but cooking - roasting hot dogs! You don't have to eat the hot dogs, I have heard of guys who keep a package of hotdogs in the truck till they are past any chance of becoming zombies (although that might depend on the ability of The Animator.). Just in case.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich