Sharpening wood chisels

Is there a clamp, or does one just use the side of a green wheel? I've got almost as many dull chisels as I have dull drill bits.

Although, I finally got the Drill Doctor 750 out, and it works pretty good. A lot better than a dull drill bit, anyway.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I just grind them on the front of the wheel.

Ignoramus29131

Reply to
RoyJ

A belt sander also works reasonably well and is less likely to burn the edges if you need to remove a lot of metal and don't have much experience grinding carbon steel.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Xx??UMoäD½ûWÔ?M&AQ?«]²Ã¤]D?m×Ø?»Mw;?ÿ=¯ªQ¼â2÷?÷^}¸ª>?ù:?ùûê}ÿu? Ç)?ì9¦ Ía¢6ø³LSb2ÔEfO?ÙQ??Zjz?Øá°qÓ`ý4¼»²ïOpáÛ2wÑ̸âæ-ýÞC=s ÐÈ)SîM¦Þ$¼OÞîC\ÃpÛñUmâU çÞú?R(?©1???H¹ç?%}åi|»ì8ëYÇû¬èö¯/C¼EÛõ¹ ,ûEü?p?²kf Ï%n¹ûßØúô PÃléÑvS?)Ø?a\? ®M+±O&ª\¥ K·+¼ûö¯)Éö?s/>ß9?£ñ?Îo®ëæ?Z?¤§XË(V?4??ÆÈ{?ì¾@?? &Ìä?fÊ(rR¥? V?? ãê©9p?*±?f??· ?h?(BëÛ-ý?`J¸7Ï?kÂ0:Î,¡W¹1M )IúȪMFH¡$iCuI6k×ô?­)¯¥D{ëmêi×.ÎüÌ?.-õzGww?±È/©Üz­ [«ù?6ÓHKY¬ZîíÎ õ nDäp

4?S;Aô?²¸+.ér-~k?ÓöK¨7Ð÷.÷aêú  VÎN8>(ÎCh2d|w{-UºQw`á1ÄCz?2ÉYx/%A5K¤ª=? ?´ý?O5^W+¢'éÌ6J?´ñ¯*?0¤ø4=???³??sé¬lGª6s?tr?©K~{ûÍÒ/?e??ñØZ3DH½?èRZ2ç??Ru?©öÕÝöî?ç ©©Q?o®/o¼w`µ?éÂcÀØûh:?°ªj\e?f90Àùãã§?Kèeèxð{v?SpóIY'2?¢ª7nn¶Íý?Z YÈvÐñR
Reply to
Snag

Am going to check out the diamond stones at HF. I have had a large EZ Lap diamond stone forever, and it works great. BUT, looking at the stone, the edges are still rough like fine sandpaper, and the middle is getting smooth. Do those eventually wear out, and wear off the diamonds? They can't be that thick, although the stone was spendy. Sure works good, and I need a large stone to sharpen some of my larger knives and "stuff".

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Not sure , but seems the diamond dust will be torn from the bonding agent over time ... the HF set is what I consider a "good buy" .

Reply to
Snag

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 18:13:53 -0600, the infamous "SteveB" scrawled the following:

Pick up a copy of Leonard Lee's bible on sharpening if you want to know everything about it.

or

Or just google "scary sharp" and be done with it.

or

I learned how to ScarySharpen(tm) and condensed it down to several grits of diamond hone before the super fine sandpaper and strop.

-- Seen on a bumper sticker: ARM THE HOMELESS

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 19:24:09 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus29131 scrawled the following:

Heathen!

(see my other post, Ig.)

-- Seen on a bumper sticker: ARM THE HOMELESS

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Let the Record show that "SteveB" on or about Sat, 10 Oct 2009 19:59:02 -0600 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Remember - diamond stones are still stones - they remove metal really well. But they do not serve to hone the edge . For that, you need a real hard stone - there's a reason the Arkansas stones are so popular. I learned this the hard way, trying to clean something up with an extra fine diamond stone. Couldn't get that final edge I wanted. Same thing goes for kitchen knives.

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

American Woodworkers Mag/ Ian Kirby's Grinder Jig It was pretty simple really, a pair of 2X4 blocks notched to a half circle, with a pipe running between them, set up in front of the grinder wheels. Then it had these jigs that the plane blade mounted in and slid into and across the grinding wheel. I made a version of it at one point but gave it to my neighbor when I moved.

68

Just a note on a source for the white wheels, found the Norton 6 x 1 x

1 - Medium 60: Part No. 07660788261 Here For $13.97 & $6.99 to my door. Thought that was a pretty good price. Most of the woodworking store websites only had the 3/4" width, and wanted more money.
Thanks, Tony
Reply to
ant30dio

Reply to
Bill Noble

Green wheels are for Carbide.

What you want is a white, then a dark black, then a fine pink.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Try

or search Ebay "Sharpening Sled", probably the easiest way to sharpen chisels and plane blades.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Reply to
RoyJ

Jig on a surface grinder :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I've done that to straighten out old plane blades. The problem is that the surface grinder burns the edge unless it makes a VERY light cut. I used 0.00025", which takes a while.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins