Sheet metal picture card holder

Hello, I am designing a picture card holder for a busy store with regular through traffic. I am going to do it in sheet metal steel 1 mm
thick. cut out a square for the picture to show through , fold back the sides and cut out a tab each side that will slot on a wire frame.
I am going to paint the picture holder a matt black and then have the paint hardened.
My concern is:
1) that the paint finish and look of the holder will stand up to wear and tear over a 2 year period-one thing I would not want to see is corroded metal exposed and
2) that 1mm thick steel is going to be strong enough to hold up to wear and tear and keep its correct shape over a 2 year period.I am not sure wether i should leave the folded edges free or wether they should be attached together(welded?)
Thanks
Steve
Thanks Steve
Have you considered powder coat? It would hold up better than paint. There are other coatings as well, but not sure what your budget will sustain.
JW
jw wrote:

No not yet-but am now-thanks
Steve

Are you in the US? You may have trouble getting one mm sheet, why not specify standard gauge which will be readily available and no metric penalty price on it.
Wayne
This is going to be made in China-
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:51:07 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"

16 gauge Gerry :-)} London, Canada

You should also consider Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene as a material. It will never wear out! You cannot glue it, but you could design it for snap together and buy the material and design with box format for rigidity. They use this material on heavy duty earth excavator's teeth because of it's resistance to abrasion wear. Try sanding a piece and you will know why!
This is a good idea -Would it have the rigidity required?
could I directly use my flat metal pattern and just substitute Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene?
however, I probably have not got enough time to research the feasibility of using this material and also wether the Chinese manufacturer can even get it .
Steve
I probably have not got enough time to research the

Why are you sending this kind of work to China?
Plenty of local shops could do it for you.
--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
Roger Shoaf wrote:

I have a feeling he may be talking large quantity, maybe very large quantity.
Much cheaper in China. Sure, there are plenty of local shops who can do it, but can they do it at the same price?
Abrasha http://www.abrasha.com
Thanks again all. I am definitely going powder coat if i can. Abrasha you are right, this is going to be a big quantity for a major retailer although I won't say who. Must confess, I would rather give the work to a local outfit, but the choice is not mine to make....
Steve
Abrasha wrote:

Hmmm,
That sounds like something of the order of Crate & Barrel or Pottery Barn.
Good for you to be involved in something like that. I think it's very exited to be involved with "economies of scale".
Wouldn't mind to do it myself some time. I'd love to have my chess set produced in very large quantities in China, so it could retail well under $500.00 in the US. I could sell quite a few at that price.
Abrasha http://www.abrasha.com

I have the perfect shop for you right here across the border from San Diego in Tijuana. They have really up to date fab shop and state of the art powder coating. The freight from China may be enough to justify doing it closer to home. Take a look: https://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/Waynelund/SSP%20Manufacturing.pps
And as to UHMWPE... I don't think it's rigid enough, it's more like Teflon than something like Lexan. And Lexan would be an ideal plastic material. Tough, bullet proof!
Wayne

Have it powder coated. That'll last a long time. Some time ago when a had a deck built in the back of my house, I had the metal parts powder coated. It looks very even and holds up beautifully.
When the house was painted I did the same thing with the railings of the decks in the front of the house. Instead of having them painted, I took them off and had them powder coated. It turned out that my railings were thrown in with the same batch that the powder coating outfit was doing at the time for railings for the restaurant at the new SF Giants ball park, because they were the same color. They are holding up beautifully also.
Abrasha http://www.abrasha.com