Sheetmetalworking project + electronics?

What a hoot! I love the concept, but his bearing setup is truly lacking. I think he used a bent sheetmetal race with a 4-ball (instead of 4 ball bearings as stated) sheetmetal retainer, then forgot to grind it smooth or center it.

I'll bet the liability insurance, which would go along with the manufacture of such a toy, would be outrageously expensive. The "CAUTION: Do not look into laser with remaining eye!" stickers would go unheeded, I'll bet.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That is a lot of work to make a less effective laser weapon. Notice the lasers are not spinning when he pops balloons. The spinning just reduces the irradiance (power/area) at the target. Now, if he had the six lasers aimed to converge at a single point, it might be slightly dangerous.

As for liability, Wicked Lasers is already marketing stuff pretty irresponsibly. They sell lasers that can blind people from a distance of miles, and they market them as big kids toys without any mention of the regulations you have to follow when operating such a laser.

Reply to
anorton

I have heard of a 3 ball tomcat, but never a 4 ball sheetmetal retainer. What is it?

BobH

Reply to
BobH

Hmmm.... At work we have 4 4k watt LASERs...

Nah, no one could even pick it up!

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

Nice.

Several, several (~9) years ago I assisted a researcher in a 10 gun version - a real bad ass version and using the way-back machine LTV Areospace division in Arlington had a 6 that focused on a spot. It could cut 1/2" steel as the steel passed through the beam. The problem, it was massive and was designed for shipboard.

The 10 gun one was an airborne model. Someday they will be tank guns and aircraft - think C-110 puff the magic dragon with a laser system! Bad enough with 105 shells!!

Mart> I have heard of a 3 ball tomcat, but never a 4 ball sheetmetal retainer. > What is it?

Reply to
Martin Eastburn