shipping small machine

I would appreciate the groups advice on how best to ship a small machine , about 200 # from North Carolina to Western Washington state. I'm hoping to have the seller arrange for crating.

Thanks for your time to answer this question.

Ed Angell

Reply to
Ed Angell

Grant Erwin

I've used

exactly one time. Everything went without a hitch. Very convenient. So based on a rather small sample space, I'd recommend giving them a try.

-- Greg

Reply to
Greg Dermer

UPS has a shipping company for larger items, I forget the name, I used them to ship a crated item from Ohio to NY that was about 200 pounds and it cost about $130. The other shippers wanted $500 and up. I got the name from UPS, they may be able to help you.

Reply to
ATP

Bolting it to large members (2x4 for this weight) that are attached to the inside of the crate is probably the best. If you can arrange some sort of bracing so that the machine is supported at 2 places, maybe the base and some support on the upper part, that will be best.

The few times I've shipped really heavy items with protruding delicate parts, like rotary tables and such, in cardboard boxes, UPS managed to smash it no matter how well I packed it. Other times when I crated things, they got through fine. I think the crate is some kind of universal sign that means "Don't throw this".

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Oh, the other replies seem to imply you are looking for common carriers, not packing info. I had a heavy lathe shipped by Fry-Wagner Industrial Movers, and was amazed at the price, $650 for a 3500 Lb lathe moved

1000 miles!

I don't know if this is too small for them, but you can try :

OH CRAP! They went out of business! Isn't that terrible! They were the most reasonable, and did a GREAT job of moving the lathe, keeping me informed so I could have a lift truck there to receive it, etc.!

Anyway, one thing that will help, you want a "consolidated shipment".

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

The crate has to have the appearance, at least, that rough handling will cause damage to everything but the crate and contents. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

FWIW Recently shipped a 180# machine, Upstate NY to Seattle, was 185.00 on Bax Global. Dimensions 22" x 24" x 36"

Reply to
Mr. Nice

If it can be broken down into pieces/groups less than 50# each, you could ship it USPS Parcel Post. I once did this with a die file - much cheaper than motor freight. Also avoided using a crate. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I just had a 7" shaper shipped from Salem NH to Mobile, AL. through Old Dominion Freight line for $160.

I used Freightquote.com as the "broker". Smooth easy transaction.

Reply to
kaferhaus