How many of you have gotten this sort of bogus RFQ?

RCMers:

How many of you have gotten anything like this in e-mail?:

[ ... most headers snipped ... ]

Bcc: snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com

[ ... ]

Good Day,

Hello my name is Carl and with regards to your company, well I email to know if you do have ( Bench Grinders ) in-stock for sell and if you do have the ( Bench Grinders ) email me back with the types, sizes and the prices on them and also do you accept credit card as a method of payment ? Waiting for your respond back.

[ ... HTML copy snipped ... ] ======================================================================

Now one interesting factor is the "Bcc: " header. In a *real* mail system, the contents of the "Bcc:" (Blind Carbon Copy) should not show, and there should be (but was not) a "To: " header.

I've gotten quite a few of these -- always asking about some machine tool or bench tool like a shear or brake.

The description of the item wanted is always in parens. (I'm sure that these are being churned out by a program.) I suspect that the program is harvesting from RCM, because there are none of them asking about other tools -- and all have been tools which I have discussed in articles here.

So -- I suspect that I am not the only one in the newsgroup to get these, but would like confirmation.

Yes -- there was a HTML copy in the e-mail as well as the plain text version.

I have nothing to sell to them -- but if I did, I certainly would not accept a credit card. I might ask twice the new price, and demand payment is silver dollars, not paper money. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I get this shit every other day. At first I pulled those guys legs a lot, pretending to want to sell then concrete drill presses, excrement homogenizers etc, but now I am bored with that and just delete this crap.

Ignoramus28206

I received an email this morning. I don't think I'll bite:

--snip-- snipped-for-privacy@att.net (exact email address as shown in prog)

We have been requested to supply top ranged building products required in ongoing residential construction project in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. We are interested in DOORS, WINDOWS,LOCKS & FITTINGS.The quantity of THESE products required is large due to the scale of our project and the value is expected to run into tens of six digit euros figures.

jnhssy/ snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com John Hessy

--snip--

I wonder if poor John knows that his email address is hacked. I get half a dozen Russian bounces a week for my email address hacks which someone at a .ru address is sending out.

-- That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something you've understood all your life, but in a new way. -- Doris Lessing

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I like the ones that want quotes, claiming to have found my email address on my 'business website'. Then they ask the name of my business. I don't have a business, or a business website. I do have a website listing some of my surplus parts, with a notice that I am 100% disabled and not to expect a fast reply.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Dear sir: Glad to hear that you're on the market for transmission belt. We manufacture transmission belt for several years, with the strength of timing belt and v belt, conveyor belt etc.with good quality and pretty competitive price. Main Products: .Timing belts .Wrapped V belts .Cogged V belts .Ribbed v belts .Variable speed belts .Agricultural Machinery belts .Pu open end belts Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me,need catalogue ,please email us.

Thanks & Best Regards Richard EKE Transmission Belt Co.,Ltd Tel:86-576-88153838 Fax:86-576-88826629 Email: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Web:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

This fine specimen of scammer is located in Ghana.

From: Bernard Morrison To: snipped-for-privacy@lastname.com Subject: Re: Assist

Thanks for the email, For now I will like to make an order for 4 units of the CAST IRON JUICE MACHINE, therefore email me back with +the total cost for all the 4 of the CAST IRON JUICE MACHINE and advice types of credit cards you do accept +for payment.

Regards, Bernard.

--- From: Firstname LastName Subject: Re: Assist To: "Bernard Morrison" Date: Tuesday, March 1, 2011, 8:23 PM

BERNARD MORRISON:

OUR COMPANY HAS THREE TYPES OF JUICE MACHINE:

CONCRETE JUICE MACHINE\232 $1800 CAST IRON JUICE MACHINE $2300 PLYWOOD JUICE MACHINE\232\232\232$4800

WE APPRECIATE YOUR ATTENTION AS A PREMIER JUICE MACHINE COMPANY IN THE UNITES STATES OF AMERICA. WE SELL BEST JUICE MACHINE AND SHIP WORLD WIDE.

Reply to
Ignoramus21417

That must be one helluva machine. I didn't even know that you could juice cast iron. It must be new technology.

-- That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something you've understood all your life, but in a new way. -- Doris Lessing

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oh I get them fairly often. Mostly wanting to buy bench vises. I use Mailwasher to scan headers on the server, and these get deleted there.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson