Is anybody fluent in Spanish enough to help my customer?

Would anybody that speaks Spanish (and doesn't hate my guts) be willing to e-mail a potential customer in Bolivia for me and find out what the
guy wants? I'll cut you in for a taste of any sales I make.
On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 17:49:03 -0400, Tom Gardner wrote:

If you can't you stick your head out the door and ask a landscaper or a road worker, couldn't you go to the nearest restaurant and recruit one of the kitchen help?
--
www.wescottdesign.com

In 1994, we moved back to southern Louisiana. My FIL owned a derrick erection company. One day, he got a letter like yours. My daughter had three years of Spanish by that time, and was taking it her senior year. Pops brought up the subject, and my daughter said it would be a piece of cake. He used her as a translator on several jobs with Pemex and some South American companies, and paid her $50 an hour. She went on to be a language major, graduating from LSU (GO TIGERS!) She then went to work for the State of Arkansas in their legal system as an interpreter for Spanish folks in trouble with the law. Then she got married, and is a stay at home Mom. Ask around. Put a Craigslist ad. You should be up to your elbows in interpreters soon.
Steve

    I think that they would be unlikely to be fluent in *technical* Spanish. I have a little Spanish, but far from good enough to handle this.
    But then, it could be an example of the kind of spam that I get from time to time, asking (in essence) "Do you have <such-and-such> for sale." (with "<such-and-such>" always in parentheses, as it is plugged into a boilerplate letter form. It always ends with asking what forms of payment I accept -- looking for credit cards, typically.
    I've gotten them asking for prices and models on vises, surface grinders, drill presses, drill sharpeners, milling machines, and a few other things.
    And, I believe that I've also gotten them in Spanish and French. (Maybe Portuguese as well.)
    And, of course, since I don't actually run a business, I ignore them -- but I am certain that they are some form of scam, not an actual business deal.
    So -- beware that this is not the same.
    Good Luck,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Tim Wescott wrote:

Nah - they speak Mexican, but little or no English.
Sigh. Rich
On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 17:49:03 -0400, the renowned Tom Gardner

Paste his e-mail into Google translate. I'll bet you can figure it out!
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Tom. Tried to email you directly but you've got a bogus email address. I have an underemployed Spanish speaking college-grad daughter in law that might be of help. The email associated with my posting is legit although munged to keep out the spambots.
RWL

Try to include some of these words and phrases:
Y tu mama tambien
Maricohn
Puta
Cafe con leche
Arroz con pollo
wheres la Demostracin del burro

============Check this out -- it won't be word perfect, but should get you started. Most likely any legal contracts, etc. should use a bilingual lawyer familiar with both US and Bolivian law. Good luck on your international venture. http://translate.google.com / http://babblefish.com /
for a stand alone xlator program consider http://www.lec.com/listProductFamily.asp?product_family=Power-Translator-Pro http://www.bmsoftware.com/powertranslator.htm
also see http://www.practicalecommerce.com/articles/2079-Three-Free-Language-Translation-Programs http://www.bestcovery.com/best-spanish-translator-overall
--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
Tawm: Another vote for "Run it through Google Translate first" - it should get you close enough to see if it sounds like a real sales inquiry, or a typical Chain Letter only in Spanish.
(They won the lottery and can't cash the check/get the money out of the country - If you do it for them, they'll give you a big cut...)
And if it is a real enquiry, for at least the initial sales get a lawyer familiar with international sales to that particular country - there are some serious pitfalls out there and you can get left holding the bag.
The shipment gets stuck in Customs, or the shipper loses it, or... and they try to say you never delivered or withdraw their Letter Of Credit, or... Heck, I don't know - but you'd better.
--<< Bruce >>--