Need to shown how to part this mold

I have bracket that is going to be zinc diecast. I would like to use the mold tools to create each half of the mold, but I can't figure out how to do it. I create a block and put my part in it in an assembly. And then I create the cavity, but then I'm stuck. The part doesn't have any split lines on it. I know where the mold split will go, but don't know how.

I'm not going to actually make the mold. I just want to learn the process and check the design from a mold point of view.

I hate to ask this, but is there anyone out there willing to take the file and do it. :) If there is, please e-mail me: melech snipped-for-privacy@excite.com.

The other problem is that it has to be done in SW2003.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron

Have you tried the mold tutorial it walks you though it step by step it is very easy when doing it that way. It is under help and tutorial.

Reply to
Mike Grant

Open the mold part file up and split it into 2 parts using: Insert\Feature\Split

There is plenty of info. in the help menu on this topic to get you started.

Ken

Reply to
TinMan

He has said that it needs to be done in SW 2003. Mold Tools didn't show up until 2004. I have been splitting parts manually for years. I actually like the mold tools for the most part, but don't use them quite as SW intended.

Anyway, I am going to send you a private e-mail and help you with this after I finish a project early this week.

Reply to
jk

Actually there has been a tutorial for quite a long time, it just doenst implement the new tools. There is other ways to split the part I have been doing it for awhile and I find the tutorial helpful.

Reply to
Mike Grant

The Help menu and also the small paper tutorial book on getting started with Solidworks. I found that once I followed the tutorial steps exactly, I could understand the basic process. Then you can start building from that point. There are several ways to actually split a mold, but first you have to create the cavity.

I commonly do NOT split a flat parting line. I just mate the part on its parting line plane with the surface of the mold plate and remove the cavity with the shrink factor. This sometimes requires me to extrude material up from the cavity plate on one or both plates for details which go "above" the parting line in question.

It takes awhile before you examine and try various methods and pick your favorite. I find the specific part design affects the method I choose.

Bo

Reply to
Bo Clawson

Oh ya and just to clarify I am not trying to be a dick I am just saying what worked for me best as far as learning and learning from the book and not how someone else does it. Sorry if I came across wrong I appreciate your post.

Reply to
Mike Grant

Hi Aaron,

We develop an add-on to SolidWorks called SplitWorks which helps you create the split lines where ever you want them to go on a face by face basis, and create the parting surfaces, inserts etc. We have a version for SolidWorks 2003 as well if you are interested please contact me or your nearest SolidWorks reseller.

George

Reply to
GNB