Shop floor question

I hate the crud that collects in the control joints of my shop floor. Every so often when I get a wild hair, I open the doors and blow out the dust/chips/invisible screws, etc with compressed air. It would be better if the control joints were filled level with the rest of the floor.

But what's the best thing to put in there? A sealant (presumably over backer rod)? Some kind of insert? What?

Thanks!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

How about the elastomeric sealant made for the purpose which is normally used without a backer rod on control joints. It's is only used with a backer rod for exceptionally deep cracks / joints such as may be found between adjacent slabs or a slab and a foundation. Should be available from numerous suppliers including Home Depot and Lowe's.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I used caulk. I don't recall for sure, probably polyurethane, quite possibly of the "supposed to be particularly compatible with cement/concrete" flavor, whether or not that means anything. It was the same price per volume as the other flavors, and didn't take all that much anyway (sawn joints). I did not bother with backer rod. Then I painted the floor flat white. Works for me.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

I use a product called 'SL-1'

are some similar brands elsewhere. Not real cheap, figure $4 to $5 a tube.

It comes > I hate the crud that collects in the control joints of my shop floor.

Reply to
RoyJ

The purpose of the backer rod is to limit the depth of sealant, thereby ensuring that it will stretch without pulling away from the slab edges as the slabs move. Another benefit is to limit the quantity of sealant used. Joint edges must be very clean and some sealants require special primers. To be successful, the manufacturers installation must be followed to the letter. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Thanks, everyone!

Jim