Shore Hardness Gauge

Hi all, I have just picked up a Shore Hardness Gauge at a car boot sale (yard sale). Can someone tell me how to use it please? It was manufactured by Shore Instrument & Mfg Co. N.Y It's a 'Durometer Type D ASTM D2240' gauge complete with test block. Regards GeoffH Norfolk, UK (not VA)

Reply to
GeoffH

If it's like the one I have, it has a little flip over cover on the bottom, which exposes a pointy tip. Push the entire gage over the rubber part that you want to measure, and the tip will indent to some degree. The more it indents, the less the gage moves, and the lower the Shore number, as read on the dial.

Kind of like a Rockwell tester for wimps!

Jim

jim rozen

Hello Jim,

Yep just like the one I have.

Wasn't sure if it was as simple as this.

The way I like it. Easy means I can spend more time in the shop doing serious work on the lathe or milling machine.

Regards GeoffH yesterday is the day you worried about, the day before

Reply to
GeoffH