Should I kick myself?

A guy showed up at the shop door today with a pick-up load of new equipment to sell. It probably wasn't a scam as the truck was painted with the same logo/brand as the equipment. Anyway, the story was that the items were left from the trade show and they wanted to sell them rather than return them to the head office or sit on them. Can't remember the exact brand but it was familiar but not major label.

2 generators on rolling carts..didn't get the exact specs but one was diesel and rated at 18 amps, 240 the other at 30 amps 240

1 gas powered air compressor. Twin "hot dog" tanks that appeared to add up to about 15 gallons. I would guess it was about 6 HP

1 pressure washer...probably about 6 horse

1 trash pump which I couldn't see well due to the amount of shrink wrap.

All items were new and still in shrink wrap with warranties that were also transferable.

book list was $18,000 which probably means that retail was about $

8000-$ 10000 (guess)

He wanted $ 4600 for the lot. I said all I could go was $ 2500 which he passed on. Didn't need it and didn't have time to try and sell on e-bay.

What would you have done (and I know you can't see the stuff)? One generator would have been nice but the rest was a little too much to take on a whim.

Koz

Reply to
Koz

I think that $2500 would have been a good deal if you could turn some of it around. Given the situation, I think $4600 is way too much.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Even though the equipment matched the truck, you would have to confirm that the driver was authorized to sell the items. Just to be safe, I'd place a quick call to the company office and ask them to fax a letter (on company letterhead) authorizing the sale.

Yup. It's a real hassle (and major expense) moving goods to and from tradeshows. So it's not uncommon for exhibitors to sell off their display items at a discount to save themselves from the return trip.

But as I mentioned earlier, sometimes the person offering to sell the stuff is not authorized to do so. This is most often seen with third-party vendors or independent reps who are contracted to exhibit the goods. They are given the products to show only.

Did you make an offer on one generator only?

As for the value of the lot, it's difficult to say without knowing the wholesale value. But if you weren't ready to lay out the cash to take the lot (and then deal with the hassle of storing and reselling it), then it's probably moot to worry about it in retrospect.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

The truck and all may have been stolen. I would definitely not buy without confirming the legitimacy of the deal. It seems odd that AFTER a trade show the stuff would still be shrink-wrapped like new. Was there awctually a trade show in the area, that you know of? Someone may be running around looking for his truck.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I would have passed too. Looks like the seller has informational advantage here.

Ignoramus12247

This is apparently a standard "come on". We had the same package offer. My boss went for it hook, line, and sinker,though I don't know what he gave for them. The only tool we have used so far is the power washer. All the tools are engine driven. The engine is an indistinguishable copy of Honda, but I'm fairly sure it is made in Chaiwan. The engine has performed well and the pump has done what we asked of it.

I would worry about warranty, etc. If you are interested, I will try to remember to write down the brand name. I looked them up on the internet when we bought them, but there was very little information on the site. The tools all have an 800 number written on them to call for warranty and parts - NO EXPERIENCE.

DanG

Maybe he stole the truck too....

Reply to
fredfighter

Reply to
Waynemak

Was the company name "Carolina" or something similar? Vague reports on the web seem to indicate that many (all?) of their products seem to get sold this way. A Google groups or standard web search should turn up more info.

A friend bought a Carolina horizontal bandsaw under similar circumstances. He seems to think it works OK but has only recently got around to trying it out, years after he bought it.

BTW, was there a trade show in your area at the time?

Reply to
Mike Henry

No need to kick yourself unless you just LOVE to take a chance. They always say that an offer that is too good to be true probably is.

Stuff was either misrepresented, stolen, or some low grade Chinese knockoff. If it wasn't stolen I'll guarantee you can buy the same stuff for the same price, but not have to take the extra that you don't want.

I did a quick scan, looks like the total was about $3500 if bought from the usual off brand > A guy showed up at the shop door today with a pick-up load of new

Reply to
RoyJ

Danger, classic scam technique there, pretty much word for word...

I think you did well by not biting. Tooo many crap tools out there.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Did he give you a local address and phone number where he could be reached in case you had a problem?

I didn't think so.

I don't buy much where I have to make up my mind in a very short time. Particularly when you are talking seven grand. Unless it is something you are totally familiar with, and know it is worth the money.

You should pat yourself on the back. And the wallet. Ya dun good.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Given the sales situation, even if it was all name-brand, top-of-the-line stuff, the offer is suspect. You dodged the bullet.

Even if everything was in order and he gave you some phone number and address, that's small consolation when local law enforcement comes and confiscates it. The phone number is disconnected and the address bogus.

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

I've seen this 'pickup full of equipment from a show' marketing ploy several times. They seem to target small businesses where they can talk to an owner who has the means to write a big check for the entire truckload.

I know someone who **did** buy the entire load, but I haven't heard any impressions of the quality of the equipment. If memory serves the manufacturer was in one of the Carolinas but that is all I remember.

Jim

Reply to
Jim in VA

Do you really think this deal was legal?

Do you have the sellers name? Did you get a bill? Why do they have machines on display at a show and when bringing them home they are shrink wrapped?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

The only honest thing above (and maybe not) is the shrink wrapping. I worked conventions for years. At the end of machinery shows, it is common to reskid and shrink for shipping.

I don't think that is what was happening in this case, but it does happen at real trade shows.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I got a taiwanese drill press from such a truck in the early 80s. They showed up, the boss bought the load and then sold off the stuff to the employees at cost (I liked! working for that guy). I still have it in my shop. Still runs fine.

Gunner

Gunner

Be very careful. They may be Irish Travelers. Check out

. They usually represent the Rebel Tool and Equipment Co. of South Carolina but have used other equipment names.

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Now that you mention it, it does sound a LOT like the same kind of scam. Same glossy sales pages, same high list price and low sell price, etc. Everything dressed to look legitimate but probably junk quality if even that good. Glad that I walked away from it. It wasn't the company mentioned in the web page but it was'nt a famaliar enough brand to say that the stuff was "real". (travers tool? something like that? just can't remember)

Koz

Reply to
Koz

I don't think you missed on much.......this has been going on for at least

40 years that I'm aware of.

Years ago, around New England, it was a small hydraulic press, an engine crane, and a transmission jack.

Several years ago - before I knew any better - I was staying at the Econo Lodge in Asheboro, NC. When I came out to leave, early in the morning, several pickup trucks were backed up to a 40-foot trailer, loading up the day's sales inventory.

They used to prowl gas stations and independent garages with "great", very negotiable offers.

The stuff was the equivalent of today's Chinese stuff.

Sounds to me as though they've expanded their SKUs.

Koz wrote in article ...

Reply to
*