Silver tea service set -- metal questions

First, condition means a lot. Buying sight unseen on ebay leads to reduced value

I repair antique metalwork for a living. I charge $20 to remove a simple dent in a silver plate pot, The dealers bring me 2-3 a week.

Second, sets bring a premium. Orphan pots are bought by college students and young marrieds, trying to decorate.

Sets are bought by someone who is looking for a 25th anniv gift for their cousin Leon.

Here's a generic set, sans tray for $175

Here's a more collectable set, with tray for $1095 down in DFW

Back in the Bunker-Hunt days, we trashed tons of this stuff.

This, I fully agree with. A silver teapot is one of the worlds most useless things. You will spend more time cleaning it than using it, but it is an attractive thing, that you would never have thought about buying retail.

You paid as much as you would have for a movie and popcorn. If you only pull it out on thanksgiving, you will have had more enjoyment than it's cost .

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Yes, we know that.

The tray isn't right, and neither are the pieces.

Better yet. Trade him a teapot for one of his extra coffee servers.

Kris

Reply to
Kris Baker

Who is "we"? You may, but the owner can't find the silver marks, let alone necessarily know what the trad set is. I just thought I'd mention it.

Tray's too small for a set. Most sets used a rectangular tray for the sets, but not all.

Nah. He can put boiling water in one of the coffee pots and dangle a silver-plate tea infuser in a cup. Much classier than a tea bag. Then, I've got a couple of tea strainers - the kind that fit over cup

- to put the soggy tea in. Think he can be taught to bend his pinky? If he's got any money left, I have some nice sterling sugar cube tongs.

Why is it, by the way, that most restaurants will give you unlimited refills of coffee, but charge you for a second little pot of hot water for tea?

Will you be mother?

Reply to
Tony Cooper

Tony Cooper wrote :We disagree on what is "low-end" ^^^^^^^^^^ This shows that you can cover a very wide range on a logarithmic scale.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Bring your own tea bags

Reply to